Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Someone Has Issues


So today was not all fun and games. *If you are not interested in the bathroom habits of our child, stop reading immediately. This is for parental eyes only* Not that it's ever an entire two hours of fun but for the first time I could understand how sad it is when you little one is in pain. He was fine for the first half hour or so and then he started grunting with his face turning all red and I kind of laughed and joked "Hmm. Somebody might get to change a dirty diaper today- Peter it's all you." Then he did it again and again and again and got louder and louder and louder. He would be fine and play for a couple of minutes and then he would go stiff and it would happen again. And he got to the point where he was just panting in between and sweating constantly. And then his whole body would go rigid and he screamed, then relaxed and caught his breath again and whimpered and we saw actual tears for the first time. I didn't know what to do for him to make him feel better and I felt terrible. And it's not like I could strip him down and see what's going on down there with all of the caretakers and people around, and I didn't have any meds to give him. So we got him some chamomile tea (which he threw up) and tried to massage his belly and finally after an hour we took him to his room to ask them about it and ask what they fed him (so we don't give it to him) and they put him on a little potty to see if it would help him go. Honestly I was also kind of afraid someone would come in to find out what the screaming was about. But nope, no luck with the little potty (and he was screaming while sitting on it too). But by then it was time to go and we just put him down for nap. I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow. I'm sure he's fine and we know he is in good hands (there are 3 doctors there if he needs anything) but it's just kind of sad to see. Anyway, he was really great today aside from that issue. It's just sort of frustrating when he's ours but not really ours so we can't do anything for him. But we are supposed to get him a week from today (the 29th) so that's good. And they said we would likely be going to Almaty on the 3rd and home to the States on the 6th even though there is a three day holiday (Constitution Day) next Thurs/Fri/Sat. We were worried it might hold us up but it doesn't sound like it. We will let you know for sure when we know! Have a great Tuesday! -m

11 comments:

Carson said...

Poor little guy. Mackie used to get that and it is really painful. I hope he is better today. I cann ot believe that you have been their a month crazy how time flies. I can not wait for you all to get home.

Nan Howard said...

No fun! But belly massage is good, move your fingers down just like the digestive tract. I noticed you have plums in the babyfood stock - p-food helps with constipation (plums, prunes, pear etc.) And hold off on banannas and rice until he's feeling better and more normal. That's probably tough, since you're not in control yet, but... You and Peter are starting to realize parenting is a lot of trial and error and there is a balance of heartbreak and unbelievable love and joy. We are so happy for you!! Hope Rinat is feeling better next time you see him!

Anonymous said...

m/p-
I have just spent the last hour reading your entire journey at Judie's house (ignoring my own son to read about yours). Everyone has told me so much about your blog -so I felt it was finally time for me to participate in what has become "Lynchburg's hottest news story!" Thank you for sharing such a wonderful experience....You have a beautiful son and he has two beautiful parents! I hope your remaining days spent in Kazaa..will be filled with even more amazing stories as you prepare for your journey home. Congrats..you both deserve it!
Deedy

geri said...

I've got to tell you that although I am sorry that Rinat is having issues, I think the picture of him grimacing is hysterical...He looks MAD! This may have to be my screen saver. I'm loving this little fellow more and more and I see his personality begin to show through the pictures. Geri

Meredith said...

hey--we have been through that sort of issue many times. when you are home you can get a very mild laxative (miralax/glycolax) from the ped. Also, prune juice is your kid's friend. C has to have it everyday. I can email you some tips on helping him go but I will save your friends from the gory details.

jenmiddleton said...

Poor little man...but you may be thankful he's not yours yet if the Drs. say the solution is digital extraction or an enema. Trust me, you'll be happy he's under someone elses care if either of those options come to be. Shoot me an email if you want more details...

LOVE the pic of him "pushing" though, it's adorable.

Counting down the days until you're back on Yuma St.! Although we're going to be in Michigan when you get home....ugh!

xoxoxoxJen

Susan said...

aww Poor lil Rinat! but, I can also relate. When we switched our son from formula to milk, he got HORRIBLE constipation. It was awful. He would cry for 2+ hours EVERY NIGHT. We gave him lots of prune juice, and he finally got thru it. It would make me cry. It took him awhile to forget that pain too. Even when he was 3 and learning to go on the potty, he would hold it and hold it cuz he was scared it would hurt. Well, DUH, the longer he held it, the more it would hurt. Bless his heart. It brought back vivid memories and my son is now 9.
Hang in there-he is so cute though.
and wow, that is amazing when you count the hours and think that it's only 2 days. It's so cool to watch your story and see how you grow to love each other.

I missed your blog yesterday. :)

I've become quite the blog stalker.
Hours will go by and I realize I am STILL on the computer.

clennon6 said...

I love checking the blog and am in tears nearly every time! I'm SO happy for you both and absolutely love hearing every detail of this journey! Everybody at school is having conversations about "Maren's blog" and we can't wait to check it every day. Kim and I are out in the wing saying, "Did you see the new picture?" "He's so cute" Thanks for sharing this amazing time in your life with us :)!

Unknown said...

He is the cutest little thing I have ever seen. Even cuter than my little puppy doggy, Ajax! And that's a hard feat...Can't wait to have yall home!!

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

Even though you may not teach him Russian it would be a good keep sake for him. We got a couple of books but had to get them in Almaty because the bookstore there in Astana was closed. Ask Gulsana she knows where it is. It is in the yellow and white bldgs across from the cinema or close to there. From what I understand they have alot of books. Jennifer wrote in her blog that she was going to go there but then didnt say whether she made it or not. Rinat is such a cutie and I did the same thing you did by counting up the amount of hours I had to spend with Berik. Pretty soon he will be yours full time and it will be an unbelievable feeling of happiness! Please tell Gulsana hello and give Baheet a hug from us. Thanks, Gena, James and Berik

Anonymous said...

I like the family photo and the fact that Rinat crying looks just like Peter talking about VA football.

Have a safe trip home.

Stone