Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Another Short One

Hey everybody- Yes, he has arms. Here's one of them. Enjoy... So I don't really have all that much to say today either. Sorry to be so unbelievable boring but we really haven't been up to much. Oh, did I tell you we had girls and boys night on Tuesday? Yup, the girls watched Music & Lyrics, which is a cute chick flick, while the boys went and played basketball with some Kazakh teens. Our translators joined us for the movie and I am always surprised when they want to hang out with us- don't they get tired of the weirdo foreigners? We never get tired of them, though, because they are so darn sweet. And they are young too- 22 and 18 I think- so they are fun to hang out with. Gulsanna and I spend forever looking at purses and shoes at the malls. After the movie we went down and watched our men get schooled by the Kstan boys and Gulsanna and Malika kept whispering to each other in Russian. I am guessing they were talking about the cute guys. But we do actually hang out with the translators a lot. On Monday after our late visitation (6-8pm), we all went to dinner together at the Mexican place, Vaquero, and Gulsanna and the translator of the Canadians came with us then too. They are really a great source of info about Kaz. Of course, most of our questions go something like this, "Do girls here think Justin Timberlake is cute? What about Brad Pitt? What do you think of Paris Hilton?" OK so the last question was one I asked Gulsanna early on and her response "I hate her, she's trash" was a good indication of how well we'd get along. But it has also been really great to be able to talk to her about the history of Kaz and how people feel about the soviet years and what they think of the current president- stuff like that. Holy smokes, I just looked at my watch and it's almost 2am. Gotta go. Have a great day! -m

9 comments:

jenmiddleton said...

Even the short/uneventful posts are fun! And you more than made up for it with the pic of the arm. It's 101 here today. Brutal.
xoxoMiddletons

PS - Will you post a pic of your apartment?

Nancy D said...

A new blogger is here! I have really enjoyed reading about your experiences as it refreshes all the memories of the adoption of my two sons. As Geri will remember,I even practiced on Matt (bottles only) when I found out I had two weeks to learn everything about infants. With Peter and Ann running around the kitchen, Geri showed me how to do all the things I needed to know.....AND because it is 100 degrees here and I was bored I now present you with the language on the box!!!!
MD- Moldovan (thought maybe Macedonia at first but eliminated it)
AB- Albanian
RUS-Russian (yeah)
KAZ-Kazakh
GEO-Georgian
AZ-Azerbiajani
ARM-Armenian
Had fun with the atlas etc. and probably not right with all but at least I tried! Please do not bring the "Twinkies" home--Just your son...Nancy Davidson

Unknown said...

He is so precious - I just want to eat his little arm up with a spoon!

xxoo
Aunt Kate

PS- Of course, Justin Timberlake is a stud. His hotness transcends all continental and oceanic boundaries.

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

Can't wait to see your little one! Did you'll try out the word Car row va on Gulsana yet? It means cow like someone who cuts in front on you in line. Baheet accidentally used that word a few times in traffic and my hubby picked it up and used it jokingly and they thought it was funny. The will probably know which former CAI couple taught you that. Try it out as it will break up the quiet spots of the day. lol! I wish they would have located the Mexican rest for us as it sounds good. Have you'll been to the book story to get the baby some books that are in Russian, Kazakh and English? It is across from the cinema.

geri said...

Nancy, I remember that "training" session! How excited we all were! I am super impressed with your language guesses...I haven't a clue except I am positive there is no Spanish! Kate, Justin is a wimp compared to sexy Sean Connery...experience counts! Maren, why purses and shoes??? What about RUGS? Astana must not be so big if you recognize the directions given by Jaimie and Gena for the bookstore across from the cinema! I do love this blogsite! Have a lovely day with my little grandson! Geri

Anonymous said...

Keep Peter off the court! He might hurt somebody with one of his POWER moves under the basket!
Now the arm! One day we will see the whole boy! Can't wait!!!
Dad

Anonymous said...

It is a great sign that now all the very important issues have been dealt with and we are on to pop culture topics! I agree fully with Geri's assessment of Justin (boo hiss...blah) and Sean Connery (even at his "seasoned" age, he is HOT!!!...always a favorite of mine)...I guess I just fall for that 007 type! Paris IS trash, and I am sure you have heard the recent news about Kfed (very Jerry Springer as usual)!

Love each entry on your blog, and no matter what you end up talking about, it is always gripping! Your son is just toooooooo cute, and I cannot wait to gobble him up myself!

Anonymous said...

I had been so on top of the blog everyday (addicted I should say) and then had guests in town and as soon as they left my fam came to vacation for the week so I lost touch. I have just spent the last hour or so catching up and it was heaven! After reading the last ten blogs I have a few comments myself....

~the plastic toy debate is hysterical and I hate to say it Maren but I have a feeling "Scooter" will change your mind.
~hearing you describe the little one's excitement at playing ball with daddy and seeing himself in the mirror was priceless!
~The BH sounds so wonderful and your descriptions are truly so interesting....I see a book in the future for sure!
~Peter pushing the little man's buttons and enjoying it...not so shocking ;)
~LOVED hearing about your daytrip to the lake and loved the pics!
~Ok....so how good to Twixels look????

XOXOXOXO
Jolie

Anonymous said...

P.S.
The thought of that little guy reaching up for you at naptime brought on the misty eyes. He's loving you to bits already!

XO
Jolie