Friday, August 3, 2007

The Shriek Heard Round the Baby House


Hello Everyone- Sorry but we forgot to take a photo of any body parts today so you get a yurt matryoshka. Matryoshka are those Russian nesting dolls that I am sure you have all seen and they are in all of the souvenir shops here (what few there are). Well, today we found some nesting yurts (the traditional tent for central asian nomads). I thought they were more appropriate for our boy than a doll... So our guy doesn't really cry but he definitely has a voice as we have found out. The only time we really hear it is when he is pissed off and frustrated. A couple of days ago, Peter tried to take away his bottle before he was done and he let out a hell-no-you're-not-taking-that kind of scream. I think it scared the bejeezus outta Peter and he immediately stuck that bottle back in his mouth before he let out another one. Then today, Peter was lying on our little peapod and smooshing him so he couldn't move and the little guy was kicking and trying to roll over which Peter found highly entertaining- that is until he let out a shriek that I bet the entire BH heard. I just started laughing. I love that he is already standing up for himself. I guess it's the Tatar in him. You know, now that I think about it, it's always Peter that seems to piss him off. Hmmm... Oh, and we got our court date today. We are scheduled for court on Aug 13th at 9:30am. And, if all goes well, we'll be bringing him home to our Kaz apt on the 28th. Then we have to be in Astana for about 6 days to do passport stuff. Then off to Almaty for a couple days for health/embassy stuff. Then home to DC. WooHoo!!!!! Oh and by the way, the yellow building that you see next to the river in some of the photos is the DHL building (the shipping co) but the first floor is the pamctop (Ramstore) which is a grocery with lots of eastern european items. It's where Peter buys his instant mocha packets which, btw, we have gotten Gulsanna hooked on. And they have tons of stuff that is in English. But we also just found a store over by A's place that is almost like an American grocery store. We are going to be stalking that store until they get another shipment of these cute smooshy building blocks with Russian letters on them that I want to bring home. Oh, and there are plenty of people who swim in the river over by the beach but Gulsanna says she doesn't because it's not clean enough so we figured we'd follow her lead. But we are going to a lake about 4 hours away on Sunday if the weather is good. It's supposed to be really nice and we can swim and just hang out the whole day. It will be nice to get out of the city and be able to see a little bit more of the country. I am curious what other places outside of the capital are like. We'll let you know! Have a great Friday! -m

8 comments:

Carson said...

He is has got a good voice. That is probably good seeing the he a Peter will be fighting over the Eagles in the near future. He have a feeling that either one will back down. I love the nesting dolls those are really cool.

Nan Howard said...

The nesting yurts are so cool! I love them!!! It's fun to imagine Peter and the lil guy rolling around and having fun like dads and kids do! The daddy love is awesome - right Walt? Have fun on your trip out of the city!

jenmiddleton said...

I think a strong voice is a good thing! I look forward to seeing what the countryside looks like. Meredith and I were just talking about that last night -- what it's like outside of the city. Sounds like your time with the Little Leggett is full of laughter and love -- as it should be! All is well here...you're not missing a thing. xoxoxox The Middletons

Meredith said...

I am so psyched for your court date! Then we will just count down the days til the waiting period runs. PS I used your plastic high chair at Jen's last night for Caroline since you ok'd it...can't wait til ya'll get back and we can have our husbandless dinner with the munchkins!

Anonymous said...

Maren, you are such a fantastic writer...I've decided that you MUST publish a book of your stories! Seriously. Seriously. Seriously. Seriously! OK? Just keep on blogging, and by the time you get back, there will be a full-length book already. Then volume 2 can be the stories of what its like when you guys get home. Dude, I am not kidding. You will be FAMOUS and then travel magazines will hire you to go all over the world and be a travel writer! (I would be happy to be your assistant, of course). Does anyone know any book publishers or whatever?
XO
Liz

Ann said...

Those nesting dolls are awesome... I used to have some when I was little, but don't know what happened to them. :( I agree with Liz... you should totally write a book!!! And Matt's ex is/was in the publishing biz... hmmm, perhaps a favor for an ex-beau's sis-in-law?? If not, I'm sure we could find someone... perhaps Lamar's publisher??? I like this idea... way to go, Liz!!! However, I'll be fighting you for this assistant's job!!! :)

Anonymous said...

It's so fun to hear about little stuff asserting himself...you are seeing his personality unfold! I cannot wait to see what he is like! Sounds like he'll have some very cute toys to play with...I love the sound of the soft blocks with Russian letters on them.

I agree with Liz in that you are a real natural writer! Just as everyone else has said, I am glued to this blog...not only the amazing events going on in your lives but also the humorous, raw and talented way in which you capture everything! Well done, and keep it up!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.