Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Same Old, Same Old


Hey everyone! So babycakes was a little bit better today but still had some issues. Gulsanna even went to try and find the doctor and see if she could offer any guidance but she was out of the building. It's so sad! I am wondering if they gave him some new food or something that maybe doesn't agree with him. Gulsanna said it looked like mashed potatoes (which he has had before) and buckwheat. But since we have no idea what they feed him the rest of the time, it's kind of hard to know. Oh well, he's ours soon enough and we can do whatever we want, feed him whenever we want, and give him water if we want. I guess it's kind of good that we are alone for visitation these days because I'm afraid it might have scared the bejeezus out of the others. But aside from that he was happy and smiling and active as always. And, as you can see, he enjoyed reading his photo album again today. Other than that, our day was pretty uneventful. Get up, drink coffee, read, internet, lunch, grocery store, walk to Astana Bakery to get dinner (roast chicken, rice, green beans, cabbage salad- Yum!), TV. Groundhog Day all over again. The only slightly exciting thing that happened today was our landlord came by to collect rent. She is just the sweetest ever. Her name is Larissa and she is so sweet and I just want to hug her for some reason. Gulsanna told me, however, that I was supposed to clean the apartment before she got there so it was a mad rush to pick all our junk up (I had actually just vacuumed and dusted a few days prior if you can believe it). Anyone who knows us knows that there was stuff everywhere- dirty dishes in the sink, dirty clothes on the floor, piles of books that we have read, piles of Rinat's clothes to take with us to the Baby House. I asked Gulsanna if every one's landlord came by every month to collect and inspect the apartment and she said 'yes' in her way that kind of means more like 'of course, how else would they do it?' I was telling her that in the states, we just mail the landlord a check and the only time we see them is when we sign the contract and when we move out. And she said that they don't use checks because of forgery and that most people don't even put their money in the bank because it costs too much to open an account. Interesting. I think some smart person that we know should open a bank with no fee to open an account and get rich. Any takers? Then maybe next time we come we can just use a check instead of hauling a bunch of cash around- although our stack of cash is rapidly dwindling. Well, that's all I can think of for now. I think we may go to the museum tomorrow so maybe I will have something a bit more interesting to talk about. Have a good day! -m

10 comments:

jenmiddleton said...

I love when things around here are uneventful...better than something bad happening!!

Same old, same old around D.C.! Just rain, rain and more rain...

xoxoJenM.

Anonymous said...

Your blogs are always interesting even if you don't have much to say. You have done such a good job informing us of all the goings on.
I loved the new pictures expecially the ones looking down on Rinat's head with his hair sticking up; so cute.
Once a mother, always a mother, but be careful about changing his diet too quickly. All new food and water will be a shock to his system.
Take care, Judie

Matthew Ruley said...

Thanks for sharing - its good to know about the monthly inspections! I'm not the neatest person (understatement) so now I know what we can prepare for. You baby is absolutely precious, and I'm sorry about his tummy! Hope he's all better tomorrow. Suzanne "Waiting"

Maegan and Tony Van Sant said...

So we are in Almaty until the 26th... sounds like we will miss you by only one week! I cant believe I dont see you guys everyday! The city here is beautiful! I will email when we get back to the states!

Rinat, behave...

Love,
Taylor!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear he is feeling better. Take good care of that little fellow.
Glad to hear the rent lady comes by......makes you guys clean that place up:)
Next week he will be yours. I know you are very excited. So are we!
Keep it coming....
Love,
Dad

Deborah said...

Hmmm...too bad the mortgage guy doesn't stop by occasionally! 20 years in the same house = 1 big mess!
Just wanted to point out that when you get your baby full time, I will be depositing mine (Amanda)in a dorm room in Massachusetts! She moves in 9/30. The years have flown by. Enjoy every minute, because you will be sending Rinat off to college before you know it.
Love, Deborah

Meredith said...

we are staying at your house for a few days during the bath redo and C has been trying out your high chair. She will enjoy teaching Rinat how to stand in it. She slept through the night in his crib so I think that bodes well for you. jp/lauren say hello--can't wait to meet rinat

Sarah Williamson said...

I just love reading this blog! It makes my day to see such happiness. Regarding your book post....My favorite time of the day is right after bathtime when Harper is in her jammies ready for bed. We read several books and talk about what is on each page....so fun! Enjoy! xoxo Sarah & Alan

Anonymous said...

I love the fact that your "same old same old" entails you spending time with your son and being together as a family...wow, what a lot this month has brought you all!!!

Keep sending the pics...it is fun to see him grow and change as you are there!

Carson said...

Hey....i can not believe that you only have a few more days till you get him full time. It seems like you just got there. I am even more surprised that you dusted and vacuumed. What has gotten into you?