Monday, August 6, 2007

Our Escape from the Everyday


Hi everyone! Sorry I didn't get a chance to blog before I sacked out last night. I thought I'd do 2 posts today to make up for it. For anyone who has been wondering what Kazakhstan is like outside of Astana, I have one word for you. That word is Texas. Yup, just like middle-of-nowhere-Texas, there is a lot of wide open space with short brown grass and shrub brush. And that's about it until you drive for maybe 2 hours north and then it turns into waist high brown grass (or maybe it was kasha?). Then you go another hour and it becomes waist high green grass with random pine trees thrown in so maybe we're nearing Nebraska-like vegetation now? I don't know since I've never been there but I am just guessing. Then when you have finally driven about 3 and a half hours, you finally have pine forests, windy roads, and hill/mountains. And there has only been one single village along this highway until you near the lake. The lake, Lake Balasomething, is at the foot of one of these mountains and I have to say it was really honestly beautiful. The mountains are not high but they rise out of the middle of the steppe like Kilimanjaro out of the African grasslands- like God dropped them there by mistake when he was creating the topography of the world and said "Oh well, they can have a few mountains I guess. I'll leave 'em." So we drove around for a while exploring some beautiful monuments (they love their monuments and statues here) and meandering around in the forest. We stopped off at this one monument and there was a hawk there that you could pay 200 tenge to have your photo taken holding it on your arm. I'll give you one guess as to who insisted on doing it- that's right, my Kazakh warrior of a husband Peter. That's him you see above of course. We also went for a chilly swim in the murky lake water with about a million Kazakh children. No matter where we go, we get stared at. Especially when they hear us talk. And, as we found out yesterday, especially, when we are walking around in our bathing suits. Although I don't know why they would be staring at us when there were so many fat men in speedos. That's who we were staring at. Peter, however, refused to swim and instead he got a paddle boat for Gulsanna and himself and they paddled around harassing the three of us in the water (the crazy Michigan couple and me). Baheet spent her time up at the restaurant and we joined her after changing back into our clothes. I don't know what she was doing while we swam but I'm guessing there was piva involved however because she slept most of the four hours home. That is when we weren't stopping at the side of the road in search of roadside farm potatoes. Apparently they are better than city potatoes. Oh, and she also bought some dried fish to munch on the way home. And as we drove (and drove and drove) home, we were treated to the kind of sunset that they only have in places where the sky goes on forever. It slowly sank lower and turned an amazing fire-y red just about the time our trip was done. All in all, a really nice day. Check for another post later today- we don't have visitation until 6pm because of some kind of inspection. And check out photos of the lake below. -m




14 comments:

Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann said...

That settles it... you are DEFINITELY writing a book when you get home!!! It sounds like you had a wonderful adventure in the Kazakh countryside, and the way you described it for us... I can picture everything in my mind and it looks absolutely beautiful!!! I see Peter's fear of swimming in large bodies of water has transcended oceans and has now come to include murky lakes (with the exception of Smith Mtn.)... did you reassure him that Jaws wasn't in the lake??? I find it amusing that Peter is afraid of Jaws (a fictional character... though I think Peter still firmly believes Jaws lives in the Atlantic somewhere), but is more than happy to have a large hawk hang out on his arm!!! The chances of that thing gouging out his eyes are far greater than being eaten by some lochness monster-type water dwelling creature!!!

jenmiddleton said...

Fascinating! Thanks for the details of the countryside. Is it vacation season there? Like it is here? Wondering if that's why the lake was so busy. And I have to say again -- you both look SO happy in the pictures!! Hugs to you...xoxoMiddletons

Unknown said...

Mr. Peter Leggett....I like the picture with you and the hawk. Very nice, I dare even say classy. Hope you are having a good time, seems like it. Ping product is moving well. Look forward to a happy return.

JESSE

Sarah Williamson said...

xsaYour descriptions are amazing but your smiles are what I love the most. This experience is impacting your friends more that you know - thank you for sharing it with us. And, regarding the paddle boat, I have been tormented by Peter in a paddle boat....scary!
xoxo Sarah & Alan

Meredith said...

I agree with Ann. Tell Mr. Falconer if he wants to really impress us, to abandon his fear of water. haha. Looks beautiful there. Looking forward to some baby toes or something this week!

Meredith said...

Oh yeah, and I see you found the father of all Hobbits (including the one that lived in your big tree) and are hugging him.

Ted Howard said...

Just like Texans, they love their monuments, huh? I love the picture of Peter with the hawk. It's a Leggett classic.

geri said...

Dried fish and hawks? WOW! Just like home! I am counting the days!

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

Nice change of pace huh? Looks beautiful in the summer. We went in the dead of winter on the train and you didn't miss much there. Knowing Gulsana she had fun and the piva and Baheet .. well you are probably right :) . Please tell G and B that James, Gena and Berik say hello! and thanks for posting these awesome pictures of Borabory or however you spell that.

Anonymous said...

Peter,
You & the hawk look like the old days at H-SC, when you used to pose with a beer at the KA House.
Maren, as I said in my e-mail, you have missed your calling. Terrific & entertaining descriptions of the countryside. Glad you had a fun trip. Must have been nice to get out of the city for awhile.
Keep it coming....we're loving it!
Dad

Unknown said...

What is that crazy little hat that the hawk is wearing? I want one for my little doggie!

And one more thing - Am I really going to listen to Peter tell me that I am too prim-and-proper to live in Portland, OR? I think not. After all, he is the one who is afraid to submerge himself in an unchlorinated body of water.

Love,
Kate

Carson said...

Hey...i have been trying to post for days but this silly thing keeps kicking me out. Scott must have been messing around on the blog or something. Sounds like an awesome weekend. i love all the pictures

talk to you soon