Monday, August 13, 2007

The Nitty Gritty on Court


Hey- So some people were asking for more details about court. I'll give you the play-by-play both for our families who are curious and for those soon-to-be adopters out there reading this. Our appointment time was 9:30 so we got there a few minutes before with Gulsanna, Baheet, and our Ministry of Education representative in tow. At 9:20 I was really nervous sitting on the bench outside the courtroom and the butterflies in my stomach were going insane. At 9:30 I started going over my speech in my head. At 9:45 I started going over Peter's speech in my head. At 9:50 I started going over my grocery list in my head. At 9:55 I asked Gulsanna what we were doing and she informed me that we were waiting for the prosecutor who then walked by us on his way to the courtroom. At 10:10 I asked Gulsanna what we were doing now. She said we were waiting for the court secretary who then walked past us into the courtroom. Game On. We went into the room and sat on the front bench and Baheet told me to stop smiling. It is bad to smile- I should cry instead. Well, let me just say I was not the first of our family to break down. We stood as the judge read our petition to adopt Rinat. Then it was Peter's turn to give his speech and my sweet, strong hubbie got about 2 sentences into his speech and his voice started to crack and he got all choked up. Which of course made me cry and Baheet had to give me a tissue. Peter talked about us, about our families, jobs, marriage, why we wanted to adopt, why we chose KStan, and most of all how happy we are that we came here and that we met Rinat and that we just want to give him a good home. And when we come home we will tell everyone what a wonderful place Kaz is and how they should come here. And that we want to come back for another child. Then the judge asked him a couple of questions about why we did not adopt from US and if we knew about all of the rules and regulations of adoption in Kaz. Then it was my turn. I was already crying from Peter's speech and then I had to get up and talk with my face all red. Embarrassing. Oh, and I was shaking like a leaf. You know how sometimes in a book it describes how some one's knees were knocking together? Well, I never really knew what that meant until today. My entire body was going into spasms and I really couldn't help it no matter how hard I tried. I couldn't even really read the notes I had written out and I had to sort of wing it. I talked about how we had waited a long time to have a baby (sob) and we were so happy to have met Rinat (sob) and we adored him and wanted to have him with us forever (sob). And how we would make sure that he was healthy and happy (OK I am getting myself together at this point). And I would make sure he had a good education. And our family and friends are very happy for us and there will be a link for all of us to Kaz forever and we would be thankful forever to Kazakhstan for the opportunity (I had finally gotten myself together by this point). And how we looked forward to sending all of the post placement reports that we have to send for the next 18 years so they can see how happy he is. Then the prosecutor asked me who was going to take care of Rinat and judge asked if I thought that raising him would be difficult (aren't all kids difficult?). Then the Ministry of Ed rep got up and read this big four page document with all kinds of attachments and papers with stamps on them that Gulsanna translated as she read. It was all about how they had attempted to find the mother and were unable to. I'll give you the short version: Rinat was born in the Maternity Hospital in Astana. The mother left him there and when they tried to locate her they found she had give the wrong address. They also tried to find her by tracing her by her name but there is no one by that name in Astana or the surrounding areas. There was a whole lot more but I didn't really catch or remember all of it. The prosecutor and judge asked some questions but she seemed to be able to show the correct documentation and they were satisfied that every attempt had been made to find her. We then all left the courtroom for approximately 1 and a half minutes and then came in and the judge read her 2 page decision that came down to "he's yours as long as no one contests it in the next 15 days". And then we were almost-parents. Whew! It was such a relief. We went out into the hallway and chatted (and waited some more for the next couple to go so we could then give everyone their gifts- they are very big on gifts here). Gulsanna told us the judge said we sounded like political advisers for Kaz tourism because we mentioned many times how much we loved it and how much we wanted to come back. And she said the judge must have liked us because she smiled at the end and she never smiles for anyone. Yay us! So that is the very abbreviated version of our court experience. I know some of you out there are wondering what version of the truth we are going to tell Rinat about his parents. We are going to tell him the absolute truth. I cannot fathom how hard it would be for a mother to give up her child and I can only imagine that it must have been the most difficult decision that she has ever made. The only reason I can think of to do that is that she thought that he would have a better life with someone else than she could have given him herself. I'm sure it will be hard for him not knowing where he came from but I know we will give him a loving home and I hope that we can give him all that his mother wished for him to have. I would like to imagine his mother out there somewhere thinking about the family he might have gone to and seeing a family like us. Alright, I think my adrenaline is finally wearing off and I am getting tired. Peter, Mr. I'm-not-nervous-at-all, didn't sleep a wink last night and went to bed hours ago so I am off to join him. Have a great day! -m

15 comments:

Marshall said...

WOW what a post! SO HAPPY FOR YOU TWO! CANT WAIT TO MEET RINAT!HE IS BEAUTIFUL! much love marshall and mary catherine

Susan said...

ok, as I sit here reading with tears streaming down my face. That is SO AWESOME!!! I am so happy for you. Did everything you say have to be translated after you said it, or does the judge understand any english? I would think that would make it even MORE heart wrenching and nerve wracking when someone else is talking and translating what you are saying.

SO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS and THANKS SO Much for making it so detailed and enjoyable to read for those of us "blog stalkers" waiting patiently until we go to Kaz for our moment in the sun. :)

SO HAPPY FOR YOU. and he is the cutest lil guy EVER and I Love his name. I can roll my R's and it's a fun name to say.

CONGRATS. i want to go have a beer to celebrate for you. :)

Ann said...

Just when I thought I was done crying... then you go and post those words!!! What an experience this has been for both of you... thank you for sharing it with all of us. I just can't wait to get my hands on him!!! I'm sure his birth mother would be thrilled to know that Rinat has such loving, wonderful parents who deserve this baby more than anyone I know (and the extended family is not so bad, either!!!) ;)

xoxoxo
Ann

jenmiddleton said...

I truly believe there are no mistakes in life -- I'm sure that Rinat's mother only wanted the best for his baby, and giving him up was absolutely the best things that will ever happen to him...

You and he are so blessed! And I had no doubt the judge would rule in your favor -- all she had to do was take one look at this blog -- his life is already brimming with love!

Thanks for sharing all the detials and get some good rest!

xoxoJen M.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an emotional day! Congratulations! Your narrative was riveting!
Needless to say, the old man had tears in his eyes.
Peter, thanks for the call this morning......fabulous way to start the day!
Can't wait to hold that cute little rascal.
Everybody at the beach cottage was talking about his eyes, and what a beautiful little guy he is. I especially liked his hair.
Again, Congratulations. Keep the faith.....you are now coming down the stretch!
Love,
Dad

Carson said...

Oh I really can not read anymore of this sob sob sob. What a wonderful life Rinat will have with you all and I know his birth mother would be thrilled for her little boy to have you both. What a tremendous journey you all have been on to get him. Really truely i have never been prouder of anyone than the two of you. You two are amazing people and I know that Rinat will be the luckiest one of us all...he has you both as his parents.

XXXOOO
Love you
cars

Anonymous said...

It's redundant but oh what an experience. I read your last post with tears streaming down my face. That little fellow has been blessed with 2 wonderful, caring parents. How lucky he is.
God bless, judie (cleland)

Jim said...

Great post Maren. I read it three times. He's adorable and I can't wait to see him in person.

Anonymous said...

Hands down....best posting yet. When I read about Peter giving his speech...well shockingly I lost it. Then reading about you reading yours...again, lost it. I mean just reading all of the comments from everyone...still losing it! I just think that this little man is not going to do with all of this love!

XoXoXoXo,
Jolie

Meredith said...

I wish I could thank the birth mom for the new life she has given to you and to Rinat. Now that I'm a mom too I know what a blessing he will be to YOU as well. We have waited for this day with you for a long time. Also, I showed Caroline his photo and she got a huge grin. I think I'll have to let her call him Nat that is about all she can say--but she is saying hat at the moment...

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, how sweet! Congratulations to all three of you! Maren your description of the court is precious, it made my eyes watery. Your son is adorable!
Tatiana

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness, yall!!! i can't stop crying--it is all just so wonderful! even the thought of him crying on the plane ride home! it's your baby crying!!!! marshall and i keep talking about the three of you. it's just pure magic. thank you thank you for keeping up your blog and letting everyone know how you're doing! he is so beautiful!!!! those eyes! i mean, come on!!! can't wait to meet him!!!! much love, mary catherine

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable! I am truly in awe of you two and all that you have gone through to get to this point. You two were meant to be parents, and you will be the BEST to your darling son...he is blessed beyond belief. Not only is he so blessed to have you, but he will be the biggest blessing in YOUR life (as you already can tell). Your lives will never be the same, and you will be all the more rich for pouring your love on him...I simply cannot say enough wonderful things about this, and I am beside myself with excitement and emotion.

I just had coffee with a gal from Russia, and I shared your story with her...I told her your son's name and she said it with her accent and it sounded so beautiful!!! It gives me chills every time I think of it!

Love to you all!!!

geri said...

We were at market, and on the morning of the 13th, I got Mollie and we went to the business center in the hotel to check the blog. I can't describe what it felt like to be looking at my grandson for the first time...there simply are no words...Rinat is beautiful and will be a real heartbreaker with those gorgeous, wistful eyes. He has already won my heart. Maren, your description of the court appearance should be required reading for all potential adoptive parents. What a beautiful and heartfelt piece of writing. It touches all who read it. We are all so blessed by the arrival of this beautiful baby into our lives. Much love, Geri

Anonymous said...

Ok Geri! Just when I thought I was done with the cryin....geez.

XOXOXO!
Jolie