Wednesday, August 15, 2007

So Where Do We Go from Here?


Hey everyone- So I know you are all wondering what's next in the process with our little one. First, there is the 15 day appeals period. I thought I would really be sweating it out at this point but I'm not. Our coordinator and everyone here are so confident that it makes me feel as if we are done with the hard part. As a matter of fact, we went to lunch after court and our coordinator gave a toast and said something to the effect of "August 13th will live forever in your memory. Today is the day that you are parents." It was really sweet and I figured that if she is no longer worried about anything that could go wrong, then I need to not worry about it. And honestly, I think she might tear the head off of anyone who stood in our way- she's very protective. OK so 15 days and then we are hoping that we can pick our guy up on or around the 28th but it depends on if Dr. Alma is free to meet with us because, of course, there are a million papers to sign- we are taking a living person out of her care after all. Then we will have him with us forever. Yay!!! We will stay in Astana for as long as it takes to get him his Kazakh passport (between 2 and 10 days). Then we'll catch a flight to Almaty where we have 2 days of appointments. The first day we go to the SOS International Health Clinic and we have to get him an HIV test and the Once Over to make sure he's healthy. He's already already had all of these tests before but they want them done again by the US approved doctor there before he is allowed to immigrate to the US. Then the following day after all of the results are in, we have an interview at the US embassy to get all of his paperwork on that end done. We have to agree to take care of him and not abandon him to be a ward of the government and all of that. Then we get to come home- as soon as we can get a flight out. We bought the changeable tickets so we can change them no big deal, but we just have to find a flight with room for us. We are hoping to be home around the 12th of September. That sounds like it's a long way off, but we have been here a month already and it has just flown by. Hopefully the next month will too. Our friends from Michigan and our friend from Buffalo got their kids on Monday and let me just tell all of those people who said "It'll be great, you kid will already be sleeping through the night" that this is most definitely not the case. Their little girl slept about an hour the first night and I think about the same last night. Poor thing is so confused and scared. They said she shook the whole day long because she was terrified. And in the 10 minute car ride with us to the BH to sign some more papers, she yawned probably 5 times. She must be just exhausted. I am going to be so sad for Rinat because I know he'll be feeling the same thing when we steal him away from everything he knows. And just when he's getting comfortable with the apartment, we're going to fly to Almaty, and just when he's comfortable with Almaty, we're going to fly home. Peter and I are going to try to be camels and store up our sleep for when we get the little guy. Anyway, have a great day! -m

11 comments:

geri said...

Babies are remarkaly resilient...if you and Peter are calm (well, let me say if you are calm!) and confident, Rinat will feel secure. If not, remember, an ounce of whiskey for every pound he weighs! A foolproof recipe given to me by my doctor father for Ann! (Probably considered child endangerment today!) I love the way he's looking at you in this latest pix, Maren! Can't wait to hold him! Geri

Meredith said...

You are smart to rest up now. That is a lot for a little one to go through at once. And babies love routines. But he is probably more resilient in many ways than an adult. Hopefully this 15 day period gives you more time for him to trust you and that will help. I can't wait for Sept!He sounds pretty spunky too which is good.

Ann said...

Damn mom... it's not an ounce of whiskey for every pound he weighs... it's a drop!! One ounce=one shot... poor Rinat would be hammered!

I do agree though that babies are very resilient. I'm sure he will be stressed out at first, but will soon bounce back once he's home and you have established a daily routine for him. I'm sure every thing will work out just fine... and as you can tell, you have the entire world supporting you!!!

xoxoxox
Ann

geri said...

Is THAT what I did wrong with you, Nan???!!! Thanks for catching that BIG mistake! Do you think Peter and Maren will ever let me babysit??

jenmiddleton said...

I have to agree with Geri -- babies are amazing the way they bounce back from things. Absolutely amazing. And not that it won't break your heart to see him scared, but maybe find peace in the fact that he won't remember this part of his life, but he certainly will be able to feel the love! And I know you guys have plenty of that for him...

We're counting down the days! Please let us know what we can stock the house with -- Mer and I can go to Buy Buy Baby and get whatever you need. Sounds like we should go to Tenley Liquor for some whiskey, too!!!

Hugs, xoxo Middletons

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! We became parents of Grant on August 13, 2004. It was actually Friday the 13th that year. We adopted from Astana as well. Grant was in the Matroshyka room. Congratulations again. Great gotcha date!
Heather
wwoodse@comcast.net

Susan said...

Hello-it's just another waiting CAI family blog stalking. :) I swear, i spend all my free time stalking your blogs. I love the latest picture! He is lookin at his Mom like you are the best thing ever!! One thing that I've noticed in all these blogs, is the difference in the kiddo's as the days go by. It's really amazing.
You do a great job on your blog and I'm going to try do the same when we go over. It's really starting to seem "real" now. It will seem more real once I get my immigration approval, but my agency has everything else I hand delivered yesterday...notarized and apostilled. I kissed that folder goodbye, and went to a new toy store and bought toys. :)

Congrats again to the happy family and thanks for doing such a great blog for us "blog stalkers" who have come to love Rinat too. :)

Anonymous said...

Keep the faith! Everything is going to work out. Rinat will come through it all.....so will you!
Obviously, there will be some bumps in the road, but you are on the homeward stretch with you new son.
Just remember how lucky he and you are.....a new life, with very loving parents, is waiting for him.
We have you in or thoughts and prayers. You will be home before you know it!
Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

Congratulations MOM & DAD!!!

THIS is the picture that made me cry...the one of you guys looking at each other. YOU GUYS HAVE A BABY!!!!!

(oh yeah, could you add me to the Shutterfly email list too Maren? thanks!)
xoxo
Liz

Carson said...

I love that photo...but I feel like peter shous be holding the camera

Carson said...

Congrats Maren and Peter. Looking forward to meeting Rinat and seeing you all soon - if I don't collapse and die first (I'm fine really). I know Carson is excited to have everyone at the farm this fall, too bad the Dad's aren't invited.

Peter - good luck to your Hoo's this fall. Hopefully they'll step up and beat your bucktooth neighbors to the west.

Much love to you both, especially to Rinat. Your happiness is very much deserved.
Scott