Thursday, August 30, 2007

Naptime, Shmaptime

Hey everyone! We don't need no stinkin' naptime! That's what Rinat says anyway. Our sweet angel went to bed last night at 8:00 like normal and mostly slept though the night (unlike Mom) until he woke at 6:01 this morning right on schedule with big smiles on his face. And there has been nothing resembling a schedule since. He really really really didn't want to take his 8am nap and I spent 45 minutes in the bedroom with him crying. He had tears! I couldn't believe it. I think he finally realized he's not going back to the BH and he was just sad. Peter tried for another 20 minutes to get him to sleep and I knew it was time to give it up when I heard giggling coming from the bedroom. Peter's a sucker. Oh well, what's one nap gone? And we decided to go for a walk along the river at 11 to pay off Peter's haircut that he didn't have enough money for yesterday and he snoozed for maybe 20 minutes during our hour outing. His 12 o'clock nap? No way. But at about 2:15 he started sitting really still and chewing on his little bite cloth that he loves and we decided to strike while the iron was hot. I hear him in the other room right now but I think he slept for almost 3 hours. Peter and I slept for 2 of them. I think we were all just running on adrenaline and happiness and didn't want to miss a single second of our first full day together. I have never seen more smiles, laughter and contentedness from Rinat than I have today (despite the lack of sleep). It fills my heart to know that he is happy with us. Sorry for the lack of a photo with this post but we decided to just enjoy the day and forget about the camera for once. I may try to get a video of him getting ready for bed tonight though. Last night I wet a washcloth and gave him a good rubdown and he LOVED it. He was laughing and laughing. I can't even tell you how many times today that I have said to both myself and to Peter "God, do I adore him." Oh, and I will have to get a photo of the 'nest' I made for him. I put a folded up comforter and some blankets on the floor for him to sleep on. There is no crib and I don't want him in the bed so he is boxed in by a wall on one side, the bed on the other, the bedside table at his feet, and a suitcase at his head. He woke up once last night because he had somehow pushed the suitcase away and was on the floor stuck in between it and the comforter. Poor guy. Alright, time to get the little guy. God, I adore him. -m

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You never liked naps either, serves you right! Sounds like fun for all of your family.

Anonymous said...

Dear Maren,
I already told you but I love to read your posts, most of them make me tear (in a good way). I was thinking - would you like to write a little story of your adoption or your time spent in Kaz? I think you are very good with words and can write a good warm article for our Becoming Family Newsletter. Not necessarily now, just something to think about.
Hugs to all three of you,
Tatiana

jenmiddleton said...

What a great idea Tatiana had about you writing an article for the magazine!

This post, by far, was my favorite so far. Not sure why -- I think it's because you had a wonderfully "normal" day with your baby! Yay! Any news about when you'll head to Almaty?

Hugs to everyone!

xoxoJen M.

MeriFamily said...

Hi! What a great family day for the three of you. I am very happy for you. I was looking for your phone number, please call the house. Carolyn and I ran into Jen today, and I spoke to Denise last night.
I want us all to get together at least once before you all go.
If you want to do it here wih the kids, welcome! Or your place, just let me know. I am flexible, and available for babysitting. :)
By the way, your blog is much more organized then mine. :)
Soraya

Elizabeth said...

Maren,
I can't begin to tell you how happy I am for the the three of you! I never deleted your email with the link to this blog and every time I come on it I am overjoyed for the three of you! He is ADORABLE!! I can't wait to meet the little one...can I just tell you how much I love his hair? He is too cute!!
Good luck with the rest of your trip and your journey home!
Lots of love,
Elizabeth

Susan said...

I ADORE HIM TOO...and all is see his his pictures. and I don't even know you.
But, you are a great blog writer and you need to publish this in the newsletter like your caseworker suggests. Then, i can see it when I get CAI's newsletter and say, OH YEAH, I KNOW THEM.

You are totally cute. :)

Ann said...

Peter's a sucker??? I never knew that!!! :) It sounds like you are truly enjoying every minute with your son (my adorable nephew)... I can't wait to enjoy a few minutes with him myself!!!

xoxoxo
Ann

Anonymous said...

LITTLE SCRUNCHER!!! He loves his new house with you!!!

Just wait, in 20 years he will LOVE naptime...

xo
liz

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are getting adjusted.
Hopefully, you guys are getting some sleep also.
Can't wait to meet him.
I'm still replaying the video with the cups......
Love,
Dad
P.S. Peter, UVa has a tough one at Wyoming tomorrow. Maybe you can pick it up on the net. I will be at H-S for the dedication of the new stadium....big day for the Tigers!!!

Carson said...

i am so glad you all are enjoying your time together. Sounds like you got it all under control....or does he have you 2 under his control? Have a great weekend together.

geri said...

Come on y'all...we need NEWS...I liken myself to the man-eating plant in "The Little Shop of Horrors"...feed me feed me!

Mollie said...

I've been to your site at least six times today hoping to see how much Rinat has grown---and you've aged!!! Hope it's been a pleasant adjustment.

Looking forward to your next blog! Hugs--

Mollie