Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Comments



Hello Everyone! Today you get his belly. Has anyone started cutting and pasting these photos to make a baby mosaic yet? So I don't really know what to write about today so I will just answer some of the comments that people have left on our posts. *First and foremost, I still swear I will have NO GIANT PLASTIC TOYS in my house. Little guy better get his fill of them here in Kstan because it's the last he's gonna see of 'em. Our house is already bursting at the seams. Although I wouldn't mind a Green Machine in the backyard eventually. You know those big-tired tricycles that you used to pedal around the driveway until you thought you little legs were going to fall off? We used to have races at my friend Avery's house- we had a green machine and some princess one. I think they are also called Big Wheels maybe? *The Illustrious Prof. Cecil put at short history of the Tatars in the comments under our Monday post if you want to read it (along with the link to Wikipedia that Matt left a few days ago if you didn't see that one). Looks like we'll have a scrappy little guy if his genetics win out. *Our caseworker Tatiana (Hi Tatiana!) was asking about what language they speak here- Russian or Kazakh (which is a Turkic language). We have found that everyone in Astana speaks Russian. I'm assuming it's Russian anyway since we have NO IDEA what they are saying. But our fabulous translator, Gulsanna, is almost always there when we need her so we really haven't had much need to attempt our Russian. So goes to lunch with us, she goes to the store with us if we ask, she is always at the baby house and will help ask questions, she's awesome. I would tell any adopters here that they should maybe just learn some basic words so they can figure out 'chicken' and 'soup' on a menu and how to ask for water without bubbles. And maybe some items from the market. The point and smile method works pretty well for us too. I have noticed some signs with Kazakh on them though so maybe they are working their way towards phasing out Russian. The only way I can tell it's not Russian though is because it has a letter that looks like the symbol for the Japanese yen- a Y with the stick part crossed twice. But they are few and far between. *Someone was asking about how many kids were at the BH and I think they said about 100. There are only 10 in our son's group and we don't see the other kids except when they are out on the playground but they are all adorable. They ride those tricycles around like a bunch of maniacs and yell things at us that I think amounts to "BeepBeep! Coming through! Move outta the way!" We aren't allowed to play with them but I always sneak a smile and wave in when the caretakers aren't looking. *Someone else asked if the visiting room is just for us. I'm not really sure. Maybe the other kids use it outside during the winter when they can't go outside. I really don't have any idea. *And Eileen was asking if I just loved the smell of my baby's head and the answer sadly, is an emphatic no- but I think it is temporary. I hate to say it but he stinks. He smells like puke (imagine that) and spoiled milk. The milk here smells kinda funky and they feed him what I think is maybe kasha (a grain that they turn into porridge) and it gets gross. And they of course don't bathe all 10 babies every day. I think they just kinda rinse them off periodically or give them a good wipe down. But I just bought some baby wipes and I think I may strip him down and give him a good once over every day from now on. We'll see if I get in trouble for it. I also bought some lotion for his dry little cheeks. And that's about all I can think of for now. Keep those comments and questions coming. Oh, by the way, what have we been up to the last few days? Nothing much- B'fast, BH, Lunch, Errands, but then we have been wandering the town after it cools down and it has been really nice. There is a really nice amusement park kind of place across the river that we have wandered though and then last night we went out and had beers with the Michiganites at a place on the river. It had just rained and was about 75 degrees and we got some snacks (pistachios, pringles, croutons, and hard salty string cheese) and a few beers and just sat outside and watched the sun go down. That is a photo of it above. Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous. I guess this is kind of like vacation but the souvenir we get to bring home is our adorable little peanut. Have a great day! -m

13 comments:

Meredith said...

So I made that same emphatic assertion that all big plastic toys are prohibited from inside use however at the moment there is a large blue plastic inflatable pool with a big elephant head on it full of soft toys and balls in my living room and Caroline has been diving into it (head first without fear)and with absolute glee all week. And now I fear that over time my house will be furnished ONLY with brightly colored plastic equipment in lieu of furniture. So we pretty much have given into whatever makes the little monkey smile and I am going to laugh when you are too.

jenmiddleton said...

Yummy belly button! Kiss it everyday! And ditto on Mer's post -- you've seen my house -- it looks like romper room. Thanks for all the info -- I love it! xoxox Middletons

Jennifer said...

Good luck on the No Giant Plastic Toy effort.

We had (and I say HAD) a 1-toy-box rule for the house: We would only have enough toys in the house to fit in the one toy box. Well, we have 3 baskets (albeit Longaberger) of toys, 2 exersaucers (the only way to get a shower without a child screaming from the crib), another basket of books and a ride-on Tow'Mater from CARS. Oh yeah, and half a closet of toys we rotate in.

Most of the toys, about 99%, were gifts without gift receipts. Anything with a receipt, or a store we could discern, went back for diaper or clothing credit. Whenever we receive a gift now, we look not at the gift, but if there is a receipt.

Get those gift receipts!

geri said...

I am just chuckling at these comments...ah, it takes me back! I cannot begin to describe the numbers of black plastic garbage bags filled with toys that went out the back door each and every year...!

Unknown said...

Haha. I love it all. Good thing your little guy is not a girl - I would be all over the little plastic kitchen with all the plastic food and utensils. On second thought, who said little boys can't learn to play kitchen?
Hmmmmm... The ideas are flowing.

Love,
Auntie Kate

Anonymous said...

I am laughing about all these toy comments and plotting to send you the biggest, loudest, most obnoxious plastic toy I can find from MY house! Ha, game on sister! Our finished basement in VA was perfect for hiding all the toys in, but we have had to absorb them into our new CA house which has no basement...we now have a toy closet! You will figure out a good system, but you WILL have kids stuff all over that basement! I can't wait to see it all!

Don't worry, when you get the little one home, you'll make his head smell sweet and yummy!

Anonymous said...

It has been so interesting to read all the comments and especially Maren's journal. What an experience.
What an incredible experience for you. I read your blog daily and am in awe. Thanks for sharing.
Judie

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Maren, sometimes Ted's head is stinky too. That's why I call him "Stink-Pot" or "Mr. Stinks" sometimes. And our house also has plastic toys (known as "The X-Box" and "the television") that I swore I would never have in my house...Ah, what we do for Love.
xo
Liz

geri said...

What is the big ochre building? I've seen that in a couple of your pics. Also, is the river clean enough to swim in?

Kazadoption said...

love reading your posts... We are in the wait mode.. any day we could get our LOI and be Astana... We are adopting a toddler.. I was wondering do you see other children older than infants? We were hoping to travel sooner but were just waiting.. I love all the pictures so I know what places look like..
Any info is good info...

Jennifer mom patiently waiting
jm.straw@comcast.net

Ann said...

I am having so much fun reading/obsessing over these posts... it's amazing I get anything done!!! BTW... I converted the measurements you gave in one of the previous posts... he is approx. 17 pounds and 27 inches long. I then plotted those measurements with his age on a pediatric growth chart... he is in the 16th percentile for weight and 37th percentile for height... looks like the lil' guy will fit in perfectly with our little family!!!

Anonymous said...

just got Sam and Sara's 4th of July pics - c'mon now Maren, you can't deny "Our Boy" a plastic slip and slide! It's way too much fun! or you can visit Walt and Nan lots ---

Carson said...

the green machines were awesome...remember we had to put stuff on the wheels so they would make noise....