Monday, August 27, 2007

Monday Could Have Been our Last Day of Visiting

Hi Everyone! So here is why most of our photos are ones of him not looking at the camera. When he notices me taking his picture, this is what happens. He's obsessed with the camera. Oh well. Anyway, today was good as well. We had lots of other families visiting at the same time so it was fun. And our guy wasn't the only one shrieking so that was good (except that we were supposed to be quiet because of the inspector). I told our friend from Cleveland that Rinat taught her boy how to do it. HaHa- I'm so proud. Then after visiting time we went to get some stuff notarized which took about 2 hours. In Kaz, when something gets notarized, they don't staple the documents together like in the states. No, they sew them together with two stitches along the side and then glue a signed piece of paper over the ends of the string to show it has not been tampered with. Interesting. After sitting at the bank for several hours, we then went to a souvenir shop across the street and Gulsanna helped us buy some small paintings for Rinat's room. By that time, it was just about time for dinner so Peter and I went again to our fave place, Ali Babba, and had piva, shashlyk, and broccoli (yum, a green veggie!). I think I may have described it before, but the restaurant is both cheap and really pretty. It is a tented outdoor restaurant with everything decorated beautifully with small secluded low tables at the sides and the servers in gorgeous costumes. I just love it. And they have a playground off to the side with dining tables near it and there are kids having meltdowns and playing so I thinking we may have to have one last dinner there before we head to Almaty when we have our shrieker with us. And, OK, I have something to admit. I am a bad mother already. As Yurlan was dropping us off at our apt yesterday afternoon, Baheet said that we were going to pick Rinat up Tues night. And what was my response at her saying we were getting him a day early? Nope, not me jumping up and down in joy, I said "But we are all going out to dinner one last time. We can't take him yet." Yes, we could have gotten him at 6:30 tonight (Tues) but instead, the horrible person that I am, we are going Wednesday morning to get him. I think that will be better anyway. Poor babies get picked up right before they are supposed to go to bed, are brought to a totally new place, and then they are supposed to go along with their regular schedule? Yeah, right. I hope that if we get him tomorrow morning, then he'll have a while to adjust and calm down before it's actually time to go to sleep at night. That and the fact that I don't have enough tissue paper for all of the caretakers gifts. And I still need to put a bunch of stuff away in the apt so he doesn't get into trouble. Bad mother? Maybe just a little. But I have to say, that Peter didn't protest either. As a matter of fact, we had both considered the stay-at-the-BH-until-Almaty option as well too. Anyway, our internet is kind of on the fritz so if we are behind in emailing or blogging, that's probably the reason. Oh, and I realized that Blogger will let us put in video now so be sure to use a fast connection next time you check our blog and hopefully we'll have a short video for you of our guy on our next post. Maybe he'll even shriek for you! -m

6 comments:

geri said...

aah...let the guilt begin! You have been so worried about Rinat screeching and crying...hope he doesn't disapoint you! Since you won't be able to do anything about it, look at the bright side...he's exercising his lungs! Can't wait to hear your description of the first day on your own with Rinat!

Susan said...

you are NOT A BAD MOM. In fact, you are probably a smart mom!! You will have Rinat for the rest of your lives-so you can let him and yourselves have one last night of sleep. :)

it's been so awesome following your blog.
I had the WEIRDEST DREAM last night. I was in Kaz, met my daughter, then we had to take a plan to Almaty I guess. It was really small and we did a crash landing in the ocean, where there were huge waves like in Hawaii and all these surfers and big speedboats we almost hit. But, we didn't. Then, Baby Kaz kept throwing up the bottle I was giving her and i was freaking out.
LOL
i don't even have my i-171h YET and here I go having nightmares about it already.
My other stuff is all translated, just waiting for my lone lil i-171h.

Avoid plane crashes in the ocean, and throwing up babies. :)

Nan Howard said...

Geri is right, mother-hood guilt will forever haunt you. But rest assured, you and Peter know what's best for Rinat - even if you second-guess it!!! I personally think you made an excellent decision to wait until Wed am to get the little guy; such logical reasoning for a new mom! We are enjoying the blog so much and feel so blessed to share this time with you. Thank you! I'm looking forward to turning up the volume on the computer and watching Sara's reacation when she hears him shrieking! Take care and good luck with the first day (and night)!
Love, Nan, Walt, Sam & Sara

Carson said...

Bad mom i do not think so.....i would have done the same thing. Enjoy your last night with Peter and we can not wait to see the video.

I hope you have agreast day tomorrow and I know he will do great during the transition.

Good luck
cars

jenmiddleton said...

I think the fact that you flew half way across the world to give an orphaned baby a beautiful, loving home pretty much exempts you from ever being a bad mother!!

I am so excited for tomorrow! I can't wait to hear all the details. Love you all dearly! Congrats! You're almost there!

xoxoxJen M.

Anonymous said...

Get that boy home, and teach him how to party. Just think what you might have to contend with 12 or so years from now. Pay back time!
Make sure he gets lessons from Matt about how to handle the police, when they come to visit your house. Also, how to do wheelies, in the mud, at the lake, and get caught. Vaden and Matt's thought they were free & clear. Of course, the muddy tire tracks led right to my front door. Wonder how my lake neighbor figured it out?
His old man ain't exactly shy about letting it all hang out either. Remember the KA days at H-SC?
Rinat will be in there with the best of 'em. Watch out DC....here he comes !!!
:) :)
Dad