Friday, July 27, 2007

We Fiiiiiinaly Have Internet


Hi all- Yes, it's true we have finally secured ourselves an internet connection. We have been warned by the others, however, that it is kinda iffy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Oh well, you guys will just have to be patient I guess. So anyhoo, yesterday we took the little guy out of the Baby House for the first time ever and I was so proud of him. I thought he might be scared or confused but he wasn't at all. He just had this look of concentration on his face and his eyes were taking everything in and he didn't make a peep. Do you think it's an indication of how he will be on the plane? Gosh, I hope so but I'm not counting on it! So we got to bundle him up in sweats and a hat (it was probably 80 degrees) and take him to get his little photo for his passport taken. He looks so serious in it. And then, as a little bonus, we got to head over to the cable office so he had him out for a whole hour. WooHoo. But it was nice to get a little taste of what it will be like when we have him for real. Oh, and even though we aren't sending photos quite yet, I will tell you another little detail about him. When I pointed out that he didn't look like the other kids at the Baby House (they have black hair, and really beautiful dark Asian eyes) and asked his ethnicity, our coordinator Baheet kept saying with a shrug 'Kazakh'. I asked multiple times and kept getting the same answer. But yesterday, we asked our translator Gulsanna yet again if maybe he could be part Kazakh and part something else? maybe Russian? She gave us a very emphatic 'no' and said "I think he is maybe Tatar." So there's your little tidbit for the day. He is 'maybe Tatar'. I am going to have to look it up but the Tatars I think came from Mongolia in the 1300's and went to a place outside where Moscow is now that was named Tatarstan. I'll tell you for sure when I know. Or if there is anyone out there who wants to do some research, go for it. Have a great day/night! -m

6 comments:

Matt said...

See the following link for information on the Tatars. Mostly eastern European and Sunni Muslim, Christian or Buddhist:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatar

Is that "(Matthew, perhaps?!) Armstrong Leggett's" hand in Peter's in the picture?

Ann said...

That could be the sweetest picture I have ever laid my eyes on!!! I can't wait to see more!!! BTW... I am completely addicted to this blog... :)

xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

That IS the without a doubt the cutest photo ever! Hmmm, does this mean there will be more photos coming? Can you guys post photos of what everything else looks like there? like the street and your apartment and stuff?
(B and G have names now, too?)
yay internet! can't wait to hear more...
XO
Liz

Meredith said...

love the photo! So how did you get to the passport shop w/o Peter's enormous Orange Crush UVA car seat?

Anonymous said...

Dear Mom and Dad (from your "first baby" Massiecat): I miss you very much and am eating myself into oblivion waiting for you to come home. I see a little hand in that photo. I guess he will be chasing after me and grabbing my tail any day now. I'd better rest up while I can! Love, Massie the Cat

Carson said...

Matt thanks for not making me have to do the research on the Tatars....it might nave taken me a while. XXXOOO