Monday, July 23, 2007

Day 4

Hi all- First, I am soooo sorry that we have not had a chance to update until now. Everything is great, we just haven't had access to the internet. So catch your breath now that you know we are alive and well, and I will catch you up. Some people requested more info about meeting our boy so let me backtrack and start from the beginning.
Day 1- So there we were waiting on pins and needles in the baby house office while coordinator B, translator G, and the director of the baby house chit chatted away in Russian. After the visit from the curly haired little angel, we were just dying to meet our child. I finally caught my breath enough to ask G if they were bringing the baby or just the file when around the corner came one of the caretakers with a baby. I looked at our entourage to question "Is this the one?" and they kind of nodded in encouragement. So I jumped up from my chair and let myself look. I don't know what to say except that he was beautiful. And he had the kind of look on him face that you may have when you run across a friend from long ago in an unexpected place. He looked at us all as if to say "What are YOU doing here?" with a little half smile on his face. They asked if I wanted to hold him and I hesitated, not because I didn't want to, but because I was trying really hard not to burst into tears in the middle of the office. Not that they would have minded. I was just staring at him until I realized that G was talking to me in English and was telling me about a bump that he has on his brow. I hadn't even noticed. Then I heard a chuckle from B and she was looking at Peter who I am not sure was either going to cry or pass out. I asked if he wanted to hold him. We all got ourselved under control and we went to the visiting room where we hung out and got to know each other a bit. After a while, in came a caretaker who seemed to say something in Russian akin to "THERE you are, you little stinker. I have been looking everywhere for you. Let's go get you some lunch!" with little kisses and baby sounds thrown in and she scooped him up and whisked him away for about 10 minutes. We had a chat with the doctor during that time and learned the details of how he came to be in the baby house. And then they brought him back and it was the same half smile and "You guys are still here?" look on his face. We played for another 20 minutes or so and then it was naptime. I know it is killing you not to have details about him but B said it is best to wait for a while. But, luckily, we are on Day 4 of visitation with 11 more to go (Sat and Sun are included). So it won't be too long.
Day 2- So this was the worst day for my by far- but a good one for Peter. We got up, checked internet at the hotel (which I think is when I sent the last one) had breakfast and then we were off to teh baby house. We just got our guy all set when they said one of us had to go sign the contract for our apartment. I wasn't sure Peter knew where to find the money (up front payment in cash) and I know for sure he'd leave half of our stuff at the hotel so I offered to go thinking it wouldn't take but a little bit. I was wrong. It took a while to pack up at the hotel and then we headed over to the apartment (super nice BTW) and spent about an hours being shown the sheets and towels and iron and leftovers in the fridge and every other thing imiginable and all I wanted to do was throw the money at her and say "I DON"T CARE" but the landlord was so sweet that I couldn't. But I did miss the entire 2 hours I should have had with my son that day- including 15 mintues of waiting while she went to buy a new iron since apparently I didn't seem impressed enough by the one that was there. Or amybe I just looked wrinkled. Bummer, huh? Then we went to a good lunch (spaghetti), bought some stuff at the baby store including a really obnoxious toy that is a big hit. Took a nap, Ramen for dinner (at 11pm) and finally at 2 am I went to bed. As I was drifting off I realized that for the first time in several years, I finally don't worry about what will happen next.
Day 3- OK I have to be really quick because we have to meet the locksmith to install an 'estra security' lock in a few minutes. We slept in, went to the grocery (more later), had lunch, rode horses, went to see the capital area. That might be the longest post ever. I hope it goes through! More later (we're hoping to have the internet installed today or tomorrow) -m

14 comments:

geri said...

I was sure glad to hear from you! Didn't think about no internet as a reason! I am intrigued to know why the long wait is suggested before sharing more details, but so far I have been impressed by the way they handle things. A bump on his head? Permanent? Or how did it happen if it's temporary? How did you figure out how to rent horses and know where to go so soon after being in Astana? I am really amazed! Tell us about the capital city. Is it modern and westernized? You said there'd be more on the trip to the grocery, so that must have been an unusual experience. Has it sunk in to your heads yet how astounding this all is?

Meredith said...

glad all is well--yes I was worried but thought you were probably moving into the apt by now. Can't wait for more baby details! I know that was rough missing your visit that day too. Hope each day is getting better. Can't wait to hear more about the city too.

jenmiddleton said...

Eric thinks I'm crazy because I've been checking the blog every hour all weekend long...So good to hear from you guys! Sounds like things are moving along as expected, which is terrific. Looking forward to more details on everything! Thinking of you all the time! xoxo

Unknown said...

Glad to see that mom is already being overly-concerned about a bump on the baby's eyebrow.

Sounds like yall have had a very eventful first few days! And the way you describe the look on the little guy's face is so cute :) I can't wait to hear more!

Anonymous said...

Ditto Jennifer ande Geri: sure is hard to get things done with all these interruptions!

Ann said...

I am glad to hear from y'all and was beginning to wonder why we hadn't heard from you. And I am much like Jennifer, checking the blog a bit obsessively! Sounds like you are making the most of your experience there!!! I am impressed!!! Can't wait to hear more (especially about my nephew!!)!!!

Meredith said...

From Carson by her Scribe Mer: I have been hearing the blog over the phone from Mer. I am in the mountains in NC and don't have internet right now. I can't wait to hear more, I know not seeing him Sat. must've killed ya! Carol says: she wants pictures and is pacing the floor driving Carse crazy in anticipation and wants MORE MORE MORE info soon. Mackie says: "Hi Uncle Maren and Aunt Peter".

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear more about your sweet little boy and your experiences there...how frustrating to have to go through that day without seeing your son!!! However, it sounds like you are doing a great job of getting settled and will soon be into a routine and able to spend every minute you can with your little boy...I love hearing about his half smile (how endearing)! by the way, you guys are PARENTS!!!

Sarah Williamson said...

Great update! I am so happy for all of you - Belle called me to say "check the blog - they have a son!!" Can't wait to hear more about the grocery....xoxo

Deborah said...

Congratulations! I'm loving every detail, although reading through the tears is a bit blurry. Can't believe that with such limited time to spend with your baby, that's when you had to deal with the apartment! Oh well, that's behind you. Enjoy every minute. Love, Deborah

Mollie said...

Your news is the most exciting to hit Lynchburg in a long time! We're all thrilled and love hearing and passing on every tidbit you send!!! Hugs--

Anonymous said...

Congrats you two. Good job!! Have you chosen a name yet? Last night we watched a DVD documentary (Long Way Round) about two Brits going around the world by motorcycle. Sequence 3 is all about their trip through Kazakastan so we got to see the people and landscape. The people seemed so warm and hospitable. Sounds like your experiences are similar. Take care. Can't wait to hear more!!
Pam and Rich

Patty and Cholly said...

Congratulations to both of you. What an exciting journey you are beginning. We are thrilled to keep up with your experiences and cannot wait to hear all about your new son.
Love, Patty and Cholly

Anonymous said...

Maren and Peter,

Charlie and I are so excited for you both and can't wait to hear more about your sweet baby boy!!

I can't imagine the anxiety, excitement and stress of it all, but, I hope you are finding comfort in knowing that VERY SOON, this baby boy will be yours for good!

You so deserve this baby, and you all will make wonderful parents! You won't believe how amazing parenthood is - it brings you truly the most joy in life that you could ever imagine!

Keep us posted! Love the blogs!

Much, much love!
Kennon and Charlie