Sunday, September 2, 2007

Watch Out America- Here We Come!

Hey everybody! Guess who's going home this week! Yup, the three of us families in the photo. I am so excited! I just realized that it's labor day weekend there in the States. I hope everyone is having a great weekend and enjoying an extra day off. Things here have been good. We are very very slowly figuring things out with our guy and getting a bit more sure of ourselves in knowing what to worry about and what not to. And he's getting a lot more comfortable with us too. We had another uneventful day today for the most part. Get up, go for a walk, spend the day eating and sleeping in the blazing heat of our apartment (it's cooler than outside at least). Oh and we had Gulsanna and Baheet come by to fill out some paperwork for his embassy registration. He is totally and completely obsessed with Gulsanna- he wouldn't leave her alone and kept crawling over to her feet and fussing to be picked up. I think he likes her more than I do and I think she's great. But instead of just another walk and then bed tonight, we met up with everyone at our friend, Soraya's, apartment to have a farewell dinner (and her court date was today so it was a celebration for her too- yay!). Everyone pitched in and we had a really nice time seeing everyone one last time. And I think Rinat really enjoyed it a lot. He seems to be quite a people person. The more activity that is going on, the happier he is. So he spent the whole hour long walk over there laughing and smiling and waving at the traffic and people on the street and then spent the whole 2 hours that we were at dinner happy and playing. Then of course he fell asleep in the Bjorn on the way home. It has been a really exciting, happy time for us here in Kazakhstan and there are really only a handful of people who will ever understand the whole range of emotions that us adoptive parents go through over the course of the almost two months that we are here. From the initial meeting of your child, through the bonding period, to the court date, and crossing your fingers waiting through the appeals, it is more of a roller coaster than anyone can know. It is the people here who offer the support and encouragement to make the whole process so wonderful and let us know that what we are all going through the same feelings. So many thanks to all of the other adoptive parents here in KStan who made it a easier and more enjoyable to be a million miles away from anything and anyone familiar while going through the most drastic change of our lives. Thank you so much to: Meagan/Tony (and Taylor), Annette/Merwan (and Kate), Jennifer/Mike/Sarah (and Matthew), Denise/Rolando (and Claudia), Soraya (and Maxium), Carolyn (and Sabina), Jen/Jay (and Nuzhan). (Did I leave someone out? I feel like I did but maybe it's the lack of sleep over the last week- if I did, sorry). It has been a wonderful and crazy time. And to those of you who are still here in Astana waiting- good luck. I can't wait to hear the happy news that you too are headed home with your baby. And now I'm off to bed. -m

9 comments:

Deborah said...

I just returned from installing Amanda in her college dorm room (sniff!), and wanted you to know that I sat by a shrieker on my flight from Chicago to Salt Lake City!! I will be remembering her and thinking of you as you travel back to the U.S. Thanks so much for sharing your roller coaster ride. All through the hectic times of Gretchen's wedding and getting Amanda settled, I have still managed to check your blog regularly and rejoice with you. It is delightful to see your happy faces, and to hear Rinat's chuckles! Best wishes as you say your goodbyes to Kazakhstan and travel home.

jenmiddleton said...

Besides Rinat, it sounds like you've made some life-long friends in K-stan. How lucky for you to have such an incredible support system. They say it takes a village...and I guess they aren't kidding. I can't wait to hear more about each of the families you got to experience your journey with. Hopefully they all live somewhat close so you can all have a state-side reunion.
xoxoJen M.

Susan said...

I have so loved reading your blog. It's so heart warming to see what a postive experience you've had, so that those of still waiting feel less anxious about the process.

Thank you for sharing with such candor. I hope when we go, we meet such fabulous people like you guys did. :)

Everyone's journey is ending that I am following-so I will have to find some new "blogs to stalk" as my I-171H is taking for freaking EVER!

Our excitement for labor day weekend is we went out boating and there was a girl who decided to take off her top on a boat nearby. My son, age 9, got out the binoculars and he and my husband were fighting over them to look at the blonde babe sans top. It was oh so exciting. My husband also informed me she was "tutti nudi" for a time as well.
Boys will be boys! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Rinat may have his father's personality....very shy and retiring :)
Can't wait to see the three of you!
Dad

Sandi said...

What a great update. Thanks for sharing all that you have during your entire process. It has been helpful to me as I wait for my LOI. I hope to meet a great support system such as all of you did, I know each of your blogs have been very helpful.

I can't wait to hear how Rinat adjusts to his home and to the rest of his wonderful life. Good luck on your journey home, I hope it arrives soon for you guys.

Sandi

Meredith said...

We are enjoying the labor day holiday and counting down the days til you get home. Went by your house and Massie was under the living room ottoman which delighted Caroline. We went to the pool with the Murrays and today we may take her for a walk in the zoo. Hurry home!

Carson said...

I can not believe that your time in Kazakhstan is almost over. I know that goodbyes are hard for you so I will be thinking of you and hoping that it goes well. We all over here have missed you a ton and can not wait for you 3 to get home. I agree with Jennifer it takes a village... your family, friends, here and their are proud of you and love you.

Get home safely. Our thoughts are with you on this new chapter and voyage of your lives. See you soon...right?

Love
cars

Anonymous said...

M & P, I have been totally captivated by your blog. Again, thanks for sharing it with all of us. The best of luck on your remaining days and your trip home. You will have to have a big party for us all to meet Rinat when you come to Lynchburg for a visit. God bless you three and have a safe journey home.
PS You will have to continue your blog when you return home so we can all keep up with you three!
Judie C

Anonymous said...

Thanks Maren and Peter for sharing your journey with all of us. What a beautiful story I will always cherish. Please come to Lynchburg soon so we can all meet Rinat. He is adorable and so blessed to have you and Peter for parents. Have a safe trip home.

Helen Hutter