Tuesday, September 11, 2007

So Far

Hey everyone- Here's Rinat's first trip to Starbucks. He wasn't as excited as Peter and I were. I don't think this bodes well since I am planning on making it a part of my morning stroll every day. I guess I will have to teach to appreciate the good things in life like Grande Lattes. I know everyone is wondering how things are going so far now that we are home so here's a quick update. Just like any new parent would probably tell you, some of our time at home has been really fantastic and some of it has been sorta miserable. Those of you who know me well know that I don't function all that great on no sleep so to say that I am annoyed when he starts screaming at 3 in the morning is an understatement. My sweet hubby Peter takes the 12:30 wakeup, gives him a bottle, plays a little while and puts him back down around 2:00. Then I get the next round when he wakes up between 3:00 & 4:00 and then I put him back down around 5:00. I know we don't need to make this a habit but poor guy has day and night confused right now. This morning though, he woke up around 4 and then never went back to sleep. And when baby don't sleep, no one sleeps. Oh well, that's what naptime's for, right? But overall things are going alright. Slowly but surely it's getting easier as we get settled in and into some semblance of a routine. He no longer screams when I feed him which I really appreciate since it got me all rattled every single time he did it. And I am already feeding him a bunch of non-babyfood things which he really likes. The faces he makes are really entertaining. Yesterday I gave him some mashed up egg yolk and he just scrunched up his little face in concentration and kept sticking him tongue out (I guess the texture was weird for him) but he asked for more so I guess he liked it. But boy are we in trouble with the motility factor. I was really hoping that he wouldn't even be crawling by the time we got home just so it would give us a little while before we had to worry about him getting to things he shouldn't but of course he didn't agree. This morning at 3:00am when I went to pick him up he was actually STANDING UP in the crib. We are in major trouble here. I can't believe that after spending his life at the baby house (where he should be behind all the regular kids) he is actually getting ready to start cruising the furniture. I guess I need to take a look around the house and babyproof the higher up stuff. Good gosh. But he is really a sweet, stubborn, funny guy and we are so lucky to have him. Who needs sleep anyway? Love to all and I swear I will post again now that I am getting a bit more rest and can actually think straight some of the time now. -m

8 comments:

geri said...

What a cutie! He looks so tiny in that big stroller that it is hard to believe he is aready pulling up! How does Massie cat like Rinat? Or more importantly, how does Rinat like Massie cat? I can't wait to see Rinat again!!!

Anonymous said...

I certainly agree with the Starbucks trip! I know Rinat will learn to enjoy the trip, and learn that Mom enjoys her lattes! I'd meet you there if I could - grande nonfat for me! hope my east coast kids get to see you all soon!

Susan said...

There are no starbucks and Kaz, and if there was, Rinat didn't get to go anyway. He will love Starbucks soon enough. Maybe get him a frappucino....:)

I'm so glad you're still posting. I love your blog. :)

Rinat is freaking adorable. :)

Carson said...

What a great photo. So glad you all are home i love talking to you 2..3...4 times a days.

Matthew Ruley said...

Rinat is the cutest little guy. Don't tell the other blogging moms I said that becuase I guess I put that on every blog, but its true!

Hope you get some more sleep soon! Thanks for keeping us all up to date. Love your blog.

(Our dossier is now with the MoE) Yeah!!

Unknown said...

He probably wasn't such a fan of Starbucks because you're feeding him that mushy baby food stuff in the picture. He wants a mushy frappucino instead. Auntie Kate will share some with him when you're not looking :)

Mollie said...

Glad to hear your routine is getting better. Bet you could use some night time help from Grandma and/or aunties!

Big hug to each of you!

Mollie

MeriFamily said...

Maren,Peter,Rinat,
Hi from the 'Kaz land'. :)
Eight hours of sleep? Awesome!
I can spot Rinat by his hair anywhere.:)
Standing in his crib now? Well, the experts say, that the babies catch up within three months, so Rinat is just getting a head start. You rock Rinat!
Max and Soraya