Thursday, September 13, 2007

Getting Settled In

Hey everyone! Today is a momentous day. Sweet Rinat slept an entire 8 hours last night which made Peter and I very very very happy. He still woke up at 4:00 but he is sleeping, thank goodness. And he definitely needs it because poor baby has a runny nose, hacking cough, and yesterday he even lost his voice. I think maybe he's sick, what do you think? A warm bath with Johnson&Johnson's Cold and Flu bath seemed to help a little bit or at least it distracted him from not feeling so great for a few minutes and maybe the humidifier helped too. But we are actually headed to the doctor for our first visit this afternoon so I figure he can give him the once over and make sure there's nothing to worry about. Today is also fantastic because it's the first time that I have put Rinat down for a nap and there has been absolutely no screaming whatsoever. And it only took 4 minutes- I checked my watch. And he is slowly learning that just because we walk out of the room for a few seconds doesn't mean that we are gone forever and he doesn't need to start crying every single time. I yell to him "I'm still here! I'm still here!" over and over and it seems to help. But all of us are definitely getting a bit more comfortable with our new lives and it gets easier and more wonderful every day. He does still scream his head off but the second that smile comes out, it makes me forget that he's not perfect. Because right then he is. Oh and I am going to figure out how to use the fancy new camera that our sweet family got us so maybe I'll have some cute photos on the next post. Hopefully he'll smile for the camera and you can see that our perfect little sweetie is happy in his new home. Love to all. -m

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not forgetting that you are parenting in a different way from what I did, but this sounds oh so normal! And the rewards WAY make up for the challenges! waiting for the photos.

geri said...

I have to agree with Trudy...I read your blog to the Silver Thistle "girls", and we all had a good laugh over using the new-to- us product, J & J cold and flu bath...give me a break...it probably makes mom and dad feel better than baby! Poor baby Rinat sneezed on Lamar at the airport, and now Lamar is sick also, so he can definitely sympathize! I can't wait to hear about the first doctor visit! Love to all!

Anonymous said...

Hi Maren
Welcome Home!!! I'm so glad you're still blogging away. Can't wait to meet the little guy-you can laugh at my not-so-little "guy" (belly!)
Let me know when I can meet you at Starbucks!
xo
stacy C.

Anonymous said...

Of course Rinat is sickish! Think of the changes he's had in the last few weeks. Fresh air, new foods, night and day switches, new everything.
Chuck and Susan Cleland in NJ use J&J everything on their Maddie. Soothing bath before bedtime helps.And, he'll give up those night time bottles soon and be sleeping through the night. Then you wonder why you haven't heard from him.
Keep the blogs coming.
Judie

jenmiddleton said...

I just love seeing that stroller parked outside of your house! Congrats on the 8 hours!

Anonymous said...

8 HOURS!! Nice job Rinat...
xoxo
Liz

Wonderful world of Kaz said...

Hi you three, finally getting to get caught up on what our Astana buddies are up to now. We can't complain, Matty has actually settled in so well right from the start that we are just afraid this is a temporary honeymoon period! Glad to hear you got home safely and are settling in! bye for now, Jenn, Mike and Matty

Carson said...

I hope you all had a nice weekend and that he is feeling better as well. Not much going on in J-ville. Talk to you soon