Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Cozy Christmas

Hi All!
As we were in the car driving home from the airport when we got home from Kaz, Rinat said “Can we go get our Christmas tree and decorate it now?”  As exhausted as we were that first week home, I couldn't disappoint my little RinCakes.  It took us a couple of days to get to it, but decorate we did.  We did the whole shebang- tree covered in ornaments, stockings hanging in a row (including one for Bubby that Rin pilfered from the tree), nutcrackers lining the mantle, the Christmas village for Rin to play with- all of it.  We even had snow to make it feel like it really truly was Christmas.  We don’t get a lot of that around here and we enjoyed it to the fullest.





Rinat did not just want to decorate the tree, it was literally everything.  I can't count the number of paper chains we made and the feet of garland strung around the furniture.  And he would cut shapes out of paper and tape them to the wall for decoration.  And he kept asking for more and more wrapping paper and I was getting sort of annoyed until I asked him what in the world he was doing and he informed me that he was wrapping gifts for Aibek.  He was literally picking out some of his favorite toys and putting them under the tree for his new brother.  My heart went from annoyance to love for this little guy. 

Rin and I did some baking too which is always a hit.  We only baked for ourselves this year (sorry friends and neighbors, nothing for you!)  but it sure was fun.  We made yummy spice cake muffins with apples, raisins, and carrots with sugary icing drizzled on top.  I didn't get a photo because they got eaten pretty much as soon as we made them.  Good stuff and absolute perfection with a warm cup of hot chocolate.   


And then it was off to the 'Burg to visit Peter's fam where they always do it up right.  There are cocktail parties, fancy dinners, decorations out the wazoo, too many presents to even fit under the tree, family and all of the pleasant chaos that comes with that many people all in the same place at the same time.  Rinat was so incredibly excited for Christmas this year and he was filled to bursting with questions about it all.  He wanted to know: How does Santa see our stockings because it’s nighttime when he comes? Does he have a flashlight or does Rudolph help with his nose?  And if Rudolph helps, how does HE get in the house? Down the chimney like Santa?  Where is Gigi/Mar’s elf? Will I still get presents if I am crying when Santa is at the house? (Of course I asked why would he be crying) Because I don’t want to sleep and I just want to see my presents and I am going to be sad that I can't go see what he brought.  It was neverending.  But it just made me so happy to see him so happy and excited about it.  I feel like he's gotten a little shortchanged in the last few months because of everything that has been going on and I was so happy to have it all focused on him for a while.



 And after telling me no for weeks, he finally decided that he wanted to go and see Santa in person and tell him what he wants ("But doesn't Elf tell him at night?  And didn't he get my letter anyway?").  And my outgoing, loud, fearless boy sat on his lap and was completely silent.  We actually had to prompt him to talk to Santa.  But he got the job done and I got some cute photos out of it- done on the sly by my super photographer hubby.




And on Christmas Eve was the big shindig for the family.  Rinat was very excited about the party.  He even told me "Mommy you look pretty in your fancy dress" and greeted each of our 'special guests' at the door.  He ran around like an maniac with the other boys, ate way way too much fudge, and ended the night by passing out in the super cool fort designed by Uber Aunt Kate and Uncle Dayson- architects of course.  Except rather than visions sugar plums, I am pretty sure he had visions of legos dancing in his head.  And he was not disappointed in the morning. 



Santa came and it was all about knights this year.  He got a Legos castle (Big Boy Legos!) and a knight costume.  And little knight figures.  Knights Knights Knights.  We love knights.




And a whole lot of dinosaurs too.  He got a Dino Dan field guide from Auntie Ann, Playmobile dinos from Gigi and Mar, and How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight? book and PJ's from Kate and Jason. 








And then after all of the excitement of it, we headed off to Peter's Dad's for more of the same.  Yes, more.  There were hugs and laughs and a cozy lunch by the fire.  Gifts for my boys and lots of playtime with Grandaddy and Nana and my Rinat was a happy happy guy.  As we visited with everyone, the snow fell and the world began to turn white again.  What a Christmas.  There was just one little thing missing.  But that's for another post.  This one is all happiness.  

Love to all and more on the 29th,  -m



5 comments:

Diane said...

Soudns like a wonderful time!! Moments to treasure for ever.
Knights and boxing were big at our house this Christmas, the big kids will have to compare their knight outfits!!! I didn't know Lego made knight stuff, hmm birthday idea for Ciera.

China Dreams said...

What a fabulous post. You managed to capture all the joy of Christmas in your description of Rinat's behavior and in the photos-such a happy little boy!

Happy New Year,
Ruby

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Hi Maren, I'm finally catching up on your blog! Happy birthday, Aibek!! He is ADORABLE!!!!! How tough it must be to be away from him as he turns 1, but how wonderful it must be that he will be home, forever, soon! I sounds like Rinat did so much better on your trips than Max did on ours -- so whenever anyone asks me about taking a 3-year-old with them to Kaz, I am just going to refer the person to you! I think your version of the answer will be significantly better/more optimistic than mine will be! HA! We are just so happy for you that you will soon be journeying back for your son. What a special Christmas it was this year for you all, and I'm sure you found yourself picturing what next year will be like as well. Congratulations on becoming a family of 4 -- we can't wait to follow along as you journey back for Aibek. Love the name, by the way!!!

geri said...

What a wonderful post, Maren! And the pictures are fabulous! I am thankful every day for my sweet children, inlaws, and grandchildren...cant wait to meet the newest one! Love to all and happy new year! Geri

Susan said...

What a wonderful Christmas!!!! i loved reading this! I love all Rin's questions (he is SOOOO SMART) and how it was all about knights. Leeza was all about princeses. :)

What a wonderful post. I am halfway done with my christmas one and need to get on it. :)