Friday, December 3, 2010

Beauty in Karaganda

Hi All!
Today was one of those unbelievable, beautiful days that I have been waiting for since we got here. We woke up to a good 4 inches or more of snow blanketed over the ground and the trees and then it snowed all day long- sometimes giant fat flakes fluttering down slowly, sometimes sharp little bits of snow blown around by the wind, sometimes the sun would shine through and make it all glitter. In short, it was like a fairy land. And today is the first day that I have not seen a single woman in stilettos. Common sense has taken over here in Karaganda.

And we had a good day today- the last full day with our little Sumo. He was giggly and snuggly and lovey. It was a good good day. I did start getting a little nervous about tomorrow and our big court appearance but I know it will go OK. It has to, right? And anyway, I have packing to distract me from it. And gift bag making to do. And an almost 4 year old to make snow angels with. And Fashion TV to watch. I have no time to worry. OK, so I am a little bit nervous. I wouldn’t be human if I wasn’t, right?

But aside from that, I am busy trying to get ready to go home. I feel like there might be a little bit of culture shock to contend with when we get back. And most definitely some jet lag. But we are eager to get back to our lives no matter how hard it’s going to be to leave. And I am especially torn about leaving since I know this will likely be the last time we will do this. I will not have the chance to just live in a foreign country for a month anytime soon while doing something so life changing. I am just trying to suck all of it up that I can. When I come back to pick our little Sumo up, it will be such a whirlwind and I will only be here in Karaganda for a day or two and then down to Almaty which I am not as familiar with for a few days and then back home. So I am trying to get just as much out of this experience as I can. And I want this to be something that Rinat remembers for the rest of his life.

Speaking of Rinat, he is his usual difficult, loving, and funny self. He had us all playing Circus at the restaurant where we went for lunch. I was the princess, Peter was the strong man, and Oxana was the lady who hung from the streamers. And Rin was the circus police who told us when to come out. He is funny. And boy does he like to be in charge. We were talking one day about stereotypes and I asked her what the Russians said about the Kazakhs and viseversa. I won’t tell you those, but everyone seems to agree that the Tatars are strong willed. I will have to second that. And as difficult as he is to deal with sometimes, I respect him for standing up for himself. I think it will serve him well when he hits the teenage years. And as for Sumo, I think I will have to learn a whole new set of parenting skills to deal with whatever his issues are as he grows up. Only time will tell and they will both keep me on my toes in their own way.

Off to obsess over tomorrow…Love to all, -m

And I apologize for the lack of photos but our internet is acting up. I will have to add them in when I get home. And if I haven’t responded to emails, that’s why.









2 comments:

Unknown said...

Busy girl and Mother....you are doing a terrific job....sounds like Rin is testing his limits a little....annoying but glad to hear he has the spunk....and that you respect him for it....You will do as well if not better with Sumo...different personality....different parenting skills...but you and Peter will get the job done like you have with Rinat.....
Can't wait to hear the news about tomorrow.....
Love,
Pete

Maureen Powers said...

I haven't heard that about the Tatars being strong-willed. That explains ALOT about Michael. LOL

Congrats on your positive decision and may you have a safe journey home!