Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Warning- Bad Mood Ahead

Hi All!


I have to warn you- I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. I’m not sure why. Mostly, I’ve been OK with dealing with any hardships here. I think Peter would agree that I’m not a huge complainer. But today, I just lost myself for the day. I woke up in a bad mood and thought that perhaps I could shake it with a shower. But of course there was no hot water (of course). So I put back on my stinky clothes from the day before. I mean, why not since I was smelled like BO anyway going on day 3 without a shower. And then I went to check email. I tried repeatedly to send one to my friend Diane. I mean for like an hour I tried and it still wouldn’t send. I almost told Peter I was boycotting the day and going back to bed. But then I remembered that little Sumo was waiting for me and we only have 11 more days with him and pulled myself out of the doldrums and rallied. And I am glad that I did. Getting outside helped. There was snow falling and Rinat was, of course, trying his hardest to roll around in it in his jeans and, mean mommy that I am, I wouldn’t let him. But he was pretty good once we got to the BH.

Sumo was still sort of whiny today testing out his ‘if I whine, I’ll get picked up’ theory. He now whines until I tell him “Come here, Sweetpea” and he’ll scoot my way with his half crawl and then raise his arm up to me for me to pick him up. I am so happy that he finally knows what I am for. I’m the picker upper, the comforter, the kiss the booboos lady, the fill your tummy person- someone he can trust. I am so happy that he is realizing this and at the same time I am sort of unsure whether to encourage it knowing that I am just going to leave him in less than two weeks and disappear from his world for a month only to come back and take him away from everything he knows. It is going to be hard on him- all of it- and it makes me feel guilty that we will be the ones causing him so much sadness. But I know that in the end it will be a good thing and he will be in our loving family and that is much better than where he is now. The nannies care well for the babies but they are not parents. Eventually he would move to another room with another group of nannies, and again and again and again until he turned 16. So I tell myself that a few months of chaos in his world is much better than the years that it would be otherwise.

Rin and Sumo had a good moment today. Rin went digging in the toy bag that has all of our stuff and brought out this toy that squeeks when you shake it up and down. Sumo was laughing and laughing and Rin was very proud of himself. “He doesn’t laugh that much but I got him to’” he told me later on that day. And it seems that a little encouragement goes a long with with Rin because he then brought him over some of the toys that he knows that he likes the best and gave him a little pat on the head before heading off to play on his own again.

Then we went to the Middle Eastern place for lunch. Rin ate some plain blini (Im finally figuring out what to order him here that he’ll eat) and a few bites of shashlyk. Then he ate ice cream and I had baklava. Yum. I love baklava. And it’s fun to make too. Our lunch went pretty well until Rin had a breakdown because the waitress brought him a chocolate egg and I wouldn’t let him eat it because he had just had the giant bowl of ice cream. Poor Rin. People are so nice here and give him free stuff all the time and then I won’t let him have it. And then he fell asleep in the car on the way back to the apartment, the tired little boy, and Peter said he napped for good long while when I was at the BH.

Sumo was good this afternoon and just wanted to be held by Mama. Sweetness. And I was happy to have a short break from my boys. Wonderful as they may be, it is nice to have some time for just me and Sumo to get to know each other without any distractions.

Since Rin took a good nap that afternoon, we told him that he could go outside and make a snow angel and then we’d take a walk to the Ramstore to get some groceries. The second we stepped outside, he threw himself on the ground and some old lady starting yelling at him and me. Apparently snow angels are not looked on too favorably in Kaz even when you have snow pants, snow jacket, snow boots, hat, and gloves on. Whatever. We went around the corner and made one anyway. It actually looked more like a snow eagle which is entirely appropriate considering where we are. Maybe the lady wouldn’t have yelled had she know he was making an eagle instead.

And the water situation continues. Today there was no water at all, not even a trickle, all day long. It came back on around 7 that night and was the color of CocaCola. Literally. We can’t wash dishes or take showers, flush the toilet (yeah, flush the toilet), or anything. I am officially annoyed. So I am going to feel sorry for myself for today. I just ate 400 sour strawberry gummy spaghettis. And I think I might go eat a Snickers Super now. Who says junk food can’t make you feel better? Well, me usually. But not today.

Hasta, -m



3 comments:

Diane said...

Acck that sucks! Maybe spend a night at the Cosmonaut or head to the Aquapark just to take a shower (the cheaper by far of the 2 options) I hope you feel better after a good nights sleep and that you have water.

Fawn and Michael said...

Hi there, we were in Karaganda this time 2 years ago. We stayed at the Dostar and never had any issues with water and it was always hot. There is a bowling alley connected to the hotel and a decent restaurant in the hotel (not the bowling alley one!), plus a park behind and a short walk to the a smaller market than the one downtown, which we liked better than the gigantic one near the train station. Maybe you could take a "mini-vacation" at the Dostar. One of the families w/our agency opted for an apt. to begin with, but happily moved to the Dostar within a few days of arriving after experincing conditions just like yours. Hope things get better quickly! Good Luck!

Maureen Powers said...

Sorry to hear that you're still having water issues. I do hope it comes back very soon for you guys. That's so awesome that your baby is realizing "who" you are, esp. since Michael didn't really get it until we were almost home - he's very much a "Mama's boy" now, but back then I was beginning to wonder if he would make the connection. I would definitely keep encouraging the bonding!

Hope things get better for you soon!