Saturday, November 27, 2010

Brothers

Hi all!
I know, I know, I didn’t post yesterday. Really there’s nothing new to say. We are all good and happy and healthy. Rinat has been relatively OK behavior wise (and so has Peter- haha). We get up, we eat Bfast, we see Sumo, we eat lunch, we see Sumo, we eat dinner, we take bath, we watch another episode of The Tudors, we go to bed. That’s our day pretty much every day.

Yesterday was the day of barf. Nope, not just spit up, but full on barf. I don’t think he actually had any food left in his little belly after throwing up on me 3 times and Peter once or twice. Gross. But I have realized that by putting some good smelling lotion on his little face it can somewhat combat the lingering smell of puke. But he didn’t seem to be under the weather or anything. Rin had him laughing again by jumping up and down and making faces. Our little Sumo completely adores Rin and starts smiling the second he walks into the room. It’s so sweet. And when Rin walks by and pats him on the head or says a nice word to him, he falls even more head over heels in love with his big brother. He gets this giant smile and his little bottom tooth pokes up and he gets what Rin calls moon eyes. It’s really good for Rin that Sumo is finally giving him some feedback. He was not especially interactive when we first started visiting with him but now he’s a whole different kid. Today for instance, all he wanted to do all day long was be held by me. Any time I would put him down, he would scoot over to where I was and grunt and hold up his little arm to say “Hold me. Please please hold me.” and he would give me those puppy dog eyes. How could I say no to that? And really I love snuggles anyway so it worked out fine for me. My arms might be a little bit tired but they have been aching to hold another baby for quite a while so I’m sure not complaining.

And I know everyone says how different their children are from each other and to be honest I had sort of wondered if it might not work the same for adopted kids- that we might get two Rinats. But Sumo is a totally different kid. Rinat has never met a stranger, Sumo cries anytime someone new talks to him. Rinat is all over the place all the time, Sumo is happy to just sort of hang out. Rin was talking up a storm even at 6 month, Sumo grunts and every once in a while cries. I am so happy that I seem to have a calm child to counteract the whirling dervish that is Rinat. I think they will be a perfect match. Yin and Yang, Peas and Carrots, Chocolate and Peanut Butter- all good on their own but perfect together.

Love to all, -m

Oh, and tomorrow, being Sunday, we have the afternoon off so we are planning a day of souvenir shopping and the Circus. It should be fun! 


5 comments:

China Dreams said...

Sounds like the boys are perfect complements for one another!

The Metz Family said...

I have so enjoyed following your story. Such a joy to read your words this Thanksgiving! Good luck to you all on the remainder of your journey -- can't wait to continue to watch it unfold and finally see you newest member!!

Kristi, Jackson, and Ethen Metz
Kokshetau 2004 & 2006

Mollie said...

Once again I must tell you that your blog is the best part of my day and I look forward to reading it every night! Please, though, don't skip a day--it worries me!
Hugs to each of you and have a great day.

PETIT BOUT DU KAZ said...

Hello,
Just a little message to thank you for your blog. Our son comes from Aktau, near the Caspian sea. He looks like Rinat, same smile, same whirling dervish ... And soon, we will go back to Kaz to look for his brother or his sister. To read your blog is the best way for us to wait because we share your happiness. Thank you again !
Amicalement,
Claire (Brest - France)
ps : during the 3 months, we spent in Aktau in 2008, we watched all the seasons of "sex and the city"...

Unknown said...

Better late than never...Peter...thanks for the phone call...thank God for Skype...we missed you all...had you in our Thanksgiving prayers...Maren...your Thanksgiving message summed it all up....are we ever lucky to have the wonderful children we do..just think, next turkey day you will have Sumo & he will have you, Rinat, and a whole new family...
Can't wait to see that fuzzy haired little guy come through those doors at Dulles...what a Thanksgiving that will be...
Love to you all,
Nana & Granddaddy
P.S. tell Rin...Granddaddy can't wait to take him to a Basketball game....at Hampden-Sydney or at Virginia.....we let 'em run around at H-S....not as bigtime as UVA :) but still lots of fun:):) Also tell him Nana & Granddaddy were talking about the beach trip and the Family Holiday Long Car ride weekend in NYC....can't wait to be with you guys at both...very very special times for all of us...