Saturday, October 30, 2010

Sidebar about the Counter

Hi All!
Nope, I'm not telling you a thing about our adoption- not quite yet.  But it's coming. 

I just wanted to address that little counter at the bottom of our blog.  Go on, take a look at it.  It's at 25,000.  Our blog has been looked at twenty-five thousand times.  Oh.  My.  Gosh.  I stuck the counter on there last August just because I was curious if anyone actually read it besides our family.  Looks like they do.  Who are you people?  Seriously, please leave me a comment.  PLEASE.  And if you have a blog yourself, leave a link and I will read it I swear.  I'm curious.  I also love taking a peek into the lives of people I don't know.  It's like eavesdropping on a conversation in the Metro- which is my other favorite pastime.  And besides, people are inspiring.  Take a look at this one http://www.kellehampton.com/ She is amazing.  I love that she finds beauty in things that most people don't even notice.  And she takes photos of her life and kids that make me want to dust off the camera and quit being lazy about hauling it around.  Or this one. http://www.sweetnicks.com/  Her food photos make me want to go to the kitchen and cook until it's a disaster zone in there.  Fun, huh?  And I have lots more.  And that doesn't even include all of my adoption friends and their wonderful stories.  The internet is just incredible.
 
The reason I started this little blog was to keep people updated on what was happening while we were in KStan for our first adoption.  I didn't want to send emails to all of my family (which is a whoooole lot of people) but I didn't want anyone to worry while we were gone either so I started a blog.  And then my mother in law (Hi Gigi!) send it to the entire population of the city where she lives and I realized that people who knew me but didn't really KNOW me would be reading about our exciting but also terrifying and uncertain trip- people outside of just my family and the adoption community and it sort of made me want to hold back.  I was originally planning on using the blog to just keep people informed and then keep a written journal for Rinat while we were there- a record of falling in love with him.  I'm sure that a time will come when he is unsure of himself and trying to figure out who he is and where he belongs in the world and I wanted him to know how excited we were to get to know him and everything that we learned about his home.  I was reluctant to put it all out there for the world to see.  But then I decided to just... jump in.  And I am so glad that I did.  I am not the most outgoing person in the world.  When I was young, I barely spoke out loud.  Other people scared me.  I was that girl in class who, when told to read aloud for the class, could barely be heard because it wasn't above a whisper (and, for the record, when I was teaching I never, ever made a single student do that). And book reports and poetry recitations? Absolute torture. I made myself sick worrying about it.  I just wanted to disappear the second anyone looked my direction.  But adopting Rinat has changed my world.  It has changed me.  Yes, there are many other things that have also contributed- my great friends in college, my patient and loving husband who has been my encouragement for 17 years now, being in this city that I love with amazing and supportive friends- but the last few years with him have affected me more than anything.  I want to be seen for once and I want people to know that we're here, and that we are a happy family full of a huge amount of love.  We know what's important in life and we make it a priority.  I don't know if that would be the case if parenthood had come easily.  But there it is.  This is our life and it is AMAZING.  It is full of twists and turns and good times and difficult ones but overriding it all is us.  Our little family unit.  And I want all 25,000 (and counting) readers to know it.  So keep reading!  And then when I am old and grey and no one can understand what I am saying because my dentures keep falling out (and Carson hides them because it's funny), we'll still have this record of our lives.  A record of all the love we had to give.  So thank you so much for supporting us and being happy for us and sending good thoughts our way when they were badly needed.  We appreciate every single one of them.

I hope everyone has a wonderful and candy-filled Halloween.  Check back soon for big stuff in our life!  Love to all,  -m 
And did you look at the weather over there to the right?  SNOW next week in Karaganda.  Rinat will be so excited!

20 comments:

China Dreams said...

You are such a tease! Will definitely keep checking back, hope you enjoy the snow and Happy Halloween :-)

Jennifer said...

I am here, but you know me! Loved this post. It summarizes so well why I keep a blog (though I'm not that great at keeping it up anymore), and why I keep it public.

Mary said...

I follow your blog through "lots of kaz blogs". I love following adoptive journeys. My 2 kaz kiddos are 2 and 3 now. We adopted in 07 from Kokshetau and 09 from Petroplavosk. Our 09 journey was documented in our blog www.juliatochatt.blogspot.com
thanks for keeping your blog public so we can follow along.

Rebecca said...

Hi Maren, this is Rebecca who with my husband Ben adopted Miranda from Astana in 2009. I love to show Miranda the pictures of all the other Kazakh babies who have been adopted and you take the best pictures of Rinat. Our blog can be found here: http://ourblahg.blogspot.com/ We can't wait until you can share news and stories about your current adoption.

Julian and Sara said...

We also follow your progress/posts via Jennifer's lotsofkazblogs.

We were in Almaty Feb-Apr 2008.

Our blog is yeomans2kaz.blogspot.com

Beth said...

Hope things are going well. I feel the same about my blog - started when we started the 100 wishes quilt for our daughter from China (LID 3/6/07...and still waiting)....then started a new one when we began our adoption for our son (Adam - Karaganda) in march of 08....mainly because we had only told a few very close family members about our new adventure.....and have had to since start another new one to keep up with the post Kaz info! Our current blog is http://apagefromourbook.blogspot.com/

Best wishes as you continue your journey!
Beth

Lou Ann said...

I too am an Kaz adoptive mom that found you through lotsofblogs and am so looking forward to the day you can post a picture of your latest Kazakh Kutie. My daughter Lexie was adopted from Aktau Kaz on July 4, 2007 and she's now 4 1/2. Our blog is www.louannsadoption.blogspot.com

Best of luck with your latest Kazakh adventure.
Lou Ann & Lexie too

Aaron and Julie said...

Hi -
We also follow from the lotsofkaz blogs site. We were in Almaty Oct 07 - Jan 08 . Our travel blog was woods2kaz.blogspot.com .

Aaron and Julie said...

PS - so excited you will be headed back to Karaganda soon :)

Carolyn Tarpey said...

Hi,
I also follow along from lots of kazblogs. I met you in Nashville with my son Henry who is a month younger then your son. I am sure you don't remember me but I remember you and your adorable son :)

I am excited about your newest member of your family and can not wait to continue to follow along.

My blog that I kept while I adopted Henry in the fall of '07 is www.journeytokaz.com/tarpey

All the best to you and your family,
Carolyn

Mary said...

I also found your blog through Lots of Kaz blogs. We adopted our daughter from Kaz in 2004 and our dossier is currently in Kaz for our second adoption, just waiting for our LOI. We moved back to the DC metro area this summer, I'd love to send you a link to my private blog - you can e-mail me your e-mail address and I will! Good luck, I just know things are working our for you guys.

Amy and Steve said...

Hi! I too love to follow adoption blog especially to Kaz. We adopted our daughter from Kokshetau in December 2005. Would love to go back but that is not going to happen. :( Good luck with your adoption!

Amy Woodward

Jen, Bert and Russie said...

Hi,

We follow your blog and love it! We adopted our son Russie (Ruslan) from Kaz in October 2008.

We also have another connecton - my in-laws live in Bethesda, Maryland and we visit with Russie several times a year. We live in Canada now, my husband is from Bethesda, and I also lived in Washington, DC for a few years. You are right - it is a great city with so many things to do. We love visiting. Our blog is:

jenandbert.blogspot.com

Allyson said...

I've probably added a lot to that counter since I have been checking back like crazy to hear good news! I'm so glad you e-mailed me and we got to catch up a little. Once you come home, I hope we can possible catch up for real once life settles down a bit!

The Robeys said...

You could say we found each other on the Lots of Kaz blogs. I had been reading your blog and you commented on my blog when I posted a trip to Baltimore.

We are looking forward to getting the full scoop of your adoption, the suspense is killing me.
Lynda

singletracey said...

I follow you thru lotsofkazblogs. I am DYING to know how things are going!

tracey
www.singletracey.wordpress.com

Marshall Park Slope said...

Hey Maren and Peter!

Gulp...ahem...uhhhg, ahem. Lovely post Maren. That's a nice warm up to where you really knock us out here shortly.

Miss you all! love you much!
Marshall

qmiller said...

Another lurker, here! I adopted my cutie from Almaty in 2004 (she's now 7) and follow you guys through the Kaz Blogs page! Looking forward to reading your news!! Quaintance

Maureen Powers said...

Read your post and it made me smile. You guys rock! Can't wait to read more.

Lisa said...

Peeking in from lotsofkazblogs also..... and wishing your family many blessings!

We brought our angel home from Kaz. in Spring 2003 and at that time blogs were not even on the radar, or at least not on mine! :)

What a fabulous resource this would have been for us then and what a fabulous connection to have now, especially following Kazapalooza this past summer.

Our family also has a blog and I initially created it to document our journey to bring our baby boy home in 2009.(from Taiwan) Now it has become more of a family journal as it documents our milestones and day to day stuff. I probably need a blog name change, but my energies have not made that far yet! LOL

Take care and can't wait to read all the news!

Lisa
www.destination-taiwan.blogspot.com