Saturday, July 30, 2011

Kicking and Screaming to the Suburbs

Hi all-
I fought it for years.  I really really REALLY didn’t want to move out of the city.  I hemmed and hawed, found something wrong with every place we looked at outside of my comfy city ‘hood.  But in those excruciating 7 weeks between leaving behind our little bumpkin in Kaz and going to pick him up from the Baby House for good, I spent hours and hours on Redfin trying to forget the reality that he wasn’t with us yet and looking ahead and trying to find a place that would give my boys the childhood they deserve. And  I finally hit on a place that seemed like it could be home.  A Norman Rockwell kind of place where kids bike around the neighborhood together and neighbors bring over a casserole when someone’s sick.  But, this being DC and all, it was with a multicultural twist- one of the selling points for me.



And have I mentioned that it had to be full of mature trees?  None of those annoying twigs they pass off as a tree in new developments.


And amenities.  There must be fabulous places to go and activities for the kids.








Proximity to the city is a must (it’s 30 minutes).  And, the most important part- we must be able to afford a house AND afford to go on vacation/get a babysitter for nights out/go fun places without worrying about what it costs.  All I can say is
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
The kids are happy, healthy and we are settling in quite nicely I must say.  The first night in our new home, the boys celebrated with ice cream cones



While Peter and I dealt with this


But we have settled in a bit and have had many backyard ‘parties’ that consist of Rin making decorations and making sure we all have a straw in our beers Kaz style- bendy to be precise because that’s how we do it 'round here.




And mostly we’ve just been enjoying having a place of our own. There have been lots of smiles and laughs as we bond and enjoy our new space.



Never thought I would say it, but...I sorta like it in the 'burbs.  But, shhh, don't tell.
Love to all, -m

3 comments:

China Dreams said...

The 'burbs would be the city to us :)

Ruby

China Dreams said...

The 'burbs would be the city to us :)

Ruby

Diane said...

Hope you are almost unpacked and settled now! We should actually talk on the phone one day soon!!! Miss you guys