Friday, June 29, 2007

Not much new to say

I've been making a gigantic pile of stuff to pack for our trip. It's taking over the guest room. Seriously. We are going to get fined big time by the luggage police, I just know it. I am a very experienced traveler but I am kind of at a loss as to what I am going to need so I just keep on piling stuff on. We'll be staying in an apartment for the majority of the time which will be nice because we'll be able to cook for ourselved when we get tired of shashlyk (kabobs) or when one of us has stomach issues (which a lot of people do) or when we just want to cook up some mystery meat and something that we found at the supermarket that we have no idea what it is because it's in Russian. So I am bringing some comfort food and some things I just can't live without like a thousand books and DVD's and my own towel. I am not bringing much baby stuff since I want to use the same bottles, formula, and food that he/she/they had at the baby house. I'll just bring some toys to tide us over for the first few days until we get over jet lag and can do shopping. And we'll have lots of free time to shop for baby clothes (and we'll only need enough for the last week anyway). That should save a little room on the way there. And I just looked at the Lufthansa website and we can have an extra bag on the way back because we'll have another person with us. That's all I can think of for now. Let us know if you have any valuable packing advice!
-Maren

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If they use Cyrillic in Kaz-land, learn to pronounce it. In Macedonia, I found that once I could pronounce Cyrillic I could read a wide variety of signs and products. Products especially tend to be modelled after Western products; I think toothpaste for example was still "toothpaste" phonetically even thought it probably made no sense in Macedonian.

Take little American gifts to hand out to people. You might have a driver for a few days, or a maid, or accidentally hitchhike somewhere (remember that?). You're in DC. Get something silly and patriotic and get something non-patriotic in case they're not fans of America. Even just American candy like Jolly Ranchers (fun name to explain, too) would be good. I assume you already have gifts for the people you know will be helping you.

Sleeping meds and allergy meds and antibiotic meds. Toiletries for the whole span because you don't want to end up with herb/licorice toothpaste like I did.

Ted

Anonymous said...

God knows you do not want to ask me packing advice b/c i always over pack. Of course I would be packing my own sheets, pillows, powder etc..... I can not believe that in a few months you all will be home together as a family. WOW! I am looking forward to see you all next weekend. We can work on the packing then... just like your wedding Maybe you will find something fun and purple in your bag. Or should i put it in Peter's?