Monday, October 21, 2013

March 2013- Still Some Firsts



Hi all,
March was blissfully uneventful for us.  There was snow, there was hanging out with friends, there was getting settled into our new place.  It was a pretty good month over all.  The afternoons were spent playing trains in front of a crackling fire.  The evenings were spent with an array of new friends.  Our new place is turning out to be a pretty good fit for us.  We got invited over for dinner to our neighbor’s house and had a great time.  There were friends from the UK, Indonesia Serbia, Greece, a couple who lived several years in China, and then there was boring old us.  I love this place.  And so do the kids.  Rin got a “best friend” necklace and attempted to have a sleepover at his friend’s house.  We got a 10pm knock on the door saying that he was complaining that he was sick but it was a good first attempt I think.  We’ll try again in a few months. 








It was one of those nights when I was just ready to be done.  I was hungry, tired, and just wanted to be left alone.  I said goodnight to Rin and gave him a kiss and left him and Peter to read and I went off to read to Bek.  As I was reading, I heard Peter finish up with Rin and head downstairs and a few seconds later there was Rinat at Bek’s door.  Before he could utter a word I shooed him out with an exasperated wave of my hand- figuring he was going to ask for a glass of water, or if he could wear shorts tomorrow, or another of the myriad of things he does to bug the crap out of me while I am trying to give Bek some undivided attention.  I felt sort of bad about it afterwards so after I finished up with Bek I went to see what he wanted and in this sad little voice he said, “I didn’t get a kiss from Bek, Mama.  I need to tell him I love him.  My whole family has to get kisses.  Will you have him blow me kisses?”  So from he hallway I told Bek to say goodnight to Rin and from the right I heard “Nitenite RahRah!”  and from the left “Goodnight Bekkers!”  Right “Luh you, RahRah!”  Left “I love you too Little Bekkers!”  I was literally surrounded by love on both sides.  What more could a mother want? 





Easter was pretty subdued this year but we got to go to our first real neighborhood event.  Every Easter, they have an egg hunt at the park around the corner and it was so much fun.  We got to spend time with our new friends and meet a bunch more people while we were at it.  It was super cute because they let the little ones go first before the big kids found all the eggs.  But our little Bek couldn’t understand why Rin wasn’t going with him and so he waited until the big kids got the OK and went with him where Rin found some for himself and was sure to point out some for his little bro.  What a sweet kid.    







Gone are the mornings when the boys piled into bed with us when they woke up.  Now, it’s them up way before dawn creeping downstairs.  It makes me a little sad that I don’t get many morning snuggles anymore.  But I wake up to the sounds of boys playing.  I can hear the crunch of the Legos and the whirr of a Beyblade but best of all is the conversations I hear between them.  The sharing and the teaching and the love that they have for each other is wonderful and it might not be as snuggly as two little boys in my bed but it fills my heart just as much.  It lets me know that even after I am no longer here that they will carry on as brothers.  They are not perfect every morning and there are times we have to haul ourselves out of bed to intervene on an argument but more often than not I know they are happy to be brothers and happy to get to spend that quiet pre-parent time with each other.  I don’t even really care if they are sneaking things they aren’t supposed to because they are in it together.      



We don’t get all that many firsts in our kids’ lives anymore- especially Rin’s- so I’ll leave you with some rare firsts.  Rin’s first bubble gum bubble.  He tried and tried and tried all day long and he finally blew a bubble and I caught it on camera.  He was so proud.  I love this boy's tenacity.  He just never ever EVER gives up.  He is living up to his Tatar roots.  And Bek is such a big boy now that he is sleeping in a big boy bed.  He was super excited about it.  I was not because it means he's growing up but I faked it pretty well I think.  I love these kids.  They are the reason we do all the things we do.  It's all for you, boys.        

Love to all,  -m

No comments: