Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Magic Travel Fairy Dust



Hi All!
When you are waiting to bring your child home to live with you forever, the weekends are both a lot easier and a lot more torturous than the other days of the week.  On the one hand, it is easier because you know that there is going to be no word about anything going on over there for two whole days.  No rushing to the computer the second the new email sound dings.  No making plans with the understanding that you might have to cancel for the last minute travel scramble.  On the other hand, you have two whole days to try and not think about the fact that you are not going to hear anything.  It's sort of excruciating.  So instead of sitting at home and trying to not think about it, I decided to find something to keep my mind off of it this weekend.  I took Rin to his first ever movie.  I had been trying to get him to go and see Tangled- the movie that is based on the Rapunzel fairy tale but he showed no interest whatsoever despite the fact that he loves any and all princess movies (something to do with the knights and their swords maybe?).  But an ad for the Yogi Bear movie came on TV the other day and he was started jumping up and down and asked if he could go see it.  Hells yeah.  Game on. 


So off we went to the neighborhood theatre for a noon movie.  We loaded up on all the good stuff- popcorn, Twizzlers, and a giant blue slushie.  I mean, can you believe the size of that thing?  Most times, I ask people to only fill it halfway ('cause really does a 33 pound kid really need that much sugar?) but I just forgot to ask and they filled it to the brim and he drank literally the ENTIRE thing.  I don't know why he didn't go into sugar shock.  It was actually pretty good though- blue raspberry Fanta.  I love me some Fanta.

One thing that is different from when we were kids is the fact that movies are now in 3D. It didn't even cross my mind until the guy at the ticket counter handed me the glasses. But it was too late to back out now so off we went to the theatre to see how 3D looks without actually wearing the glasses.





We were practically the only people in the theatre which was a good thing because, as usual, my sweet little one talked NON STOP.  They show all of those previews pre movie now and as every single one started, he wanted to know "Is this the movie!!!!"  "What about now?  Is this it?"  "When is it gonna come on?  I'm so tired of waiting!"  I had warned him that it was going to be super loud but as the lights dimmed and he practically went into convulsions "It's starting!  It's starting Mama!" He made sure to keep his ears covered with his little hands and they stayed that way for a good ten minutes.

Overall, my little RinCakes really liked it.  Even despite the fact that 3D glasses-less it's sort fuzzy sometimes.  Maybe we'll get to another 3D one when he's a bit older but he truly didn't seem to mind it.  Sorta freaked me out though when a giant frog's tongue flicked out into the theatre at my face.  Not sure I'm a fan to be honest.  Gosh, did that sound old and crotchety of me?  What ev.  I AM old. 

We've also had a little snow around these parts.  Can you tell Rin is excited to wake up and have it coming down?


And we have moved from glitter and glue and on to making paper chains.  It's his new obsession.  And thank goodness.  It's a whole lot less messy.  Right now, we have glitter on the floor of every single room in the house.  It's scattered around like magic fairy dust sparkling everywhere I look.


And it turns out that maybe that glitter is magic after all.  Just this morning, I got word that I am headed over to Kaz next week to finally go and pick up my sweet little Aibek.  All day long I have been running around, unable to think straight, unable to focus when I need to focus the most and I am so so SO happy.  People had stopped even asking when I was going because the answer was always "I hope soon" but I can finally say with a great big smile "Soon, really really soon."
  
That photo of Aibek was taken two days ago when I was down in the dregs of waiting hell. I emailed my friend who is there in Karaganda adopting her cute little boy and begged her to go see him for me.  She responded literally 5 minutes later with photos and as I teared up seeing my sweet boy for the first time since Christmas, I thought about just how lucky I am to have joined his group of people called adopters.  Every single one I have met is unbelievable generous and compassionate.  Thank you Sarah!  I wish that I could return the favor somehow! 

Love to all,
-m
And we're signed up for Kazapalooza in June.  I hope all you fellow Kaz parents are too!  Disney and the beach- what more could a kid ask for?  See you then if not before...

11 comments:

Kate said...

Yay! So happy that you finally got the call :) Can't wait to meet the little cupcake!

And I love the pictures from the movies!

xxoo
Auntie Kate

China Dreams said...

This is funny, because we went to see Yogi and Aidan really wanted to see Tangled. Both he and our four year old grandson were really bored by Yogi, so I think we should have seen the other one.

Ruby

Mollie said...

Yeah!!!!! So excited for you, Maren! Have a safe trip and send pictures when you have a second. xoxo--Mollie

Deborah said...

Hooray! You're on the move! What a sweet friend to send you that picture. I bet you just bawled - I would've. Can't wait for you to get him home. Happy traveling!
Love,
Deborah

The Robeys said...

Maren,
So happy to hear your good news that you are headed back next week to pick up your son.

We are heading to Kazzapalooza too! Looking forward to meeting you and your family there along with all the other Kaz families.

Tina said...

I am so glad I made it to the bottom of your post. I was feeling so bad for you and now I'm so excited for you. Happy reunion!

Diane said...

Yeah!! Kazakhstan here you come!!! Wow Aibek in a sweater, I saw the picture and thought "hmm when did they take that?" then I read more...aha! Can't wait to hear how the reunion goes.

Love you guys!!!

Maureen Powers said...

Love the new pic of Aibek! And James is another Fanta lover. He developed quite a taste for it while we were in Karaganda last summer. :)

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Maren, congrats on getting the call back! We are of course soooo envious, but so happy for you!!! Can't wait to read that your family is all reunited back at home. Godspeed!

Maureen Powers said...

Duh, me! I just re-read your post and realized you are leaving next week to get Aibek! Sheesh - now that we have both of the boys sometimes I wonder if I'm coming or going. LOL

Have a great, safe trip to Aibek and back home!

Susan said...

oh yay yay yay on several counts.
YOU ARE COMING TO KAZAPOOLZA. happy day.

I loved your movie story. Leeza's first movie was toy story 3 and 2nd movie was Tangled. She loved it.
I have vivid memories of babysitting in college taking 3 year old Chase to his first movie and all the questions ....the movie was Benji the Hunted and every preview i got "..WHERE IS BENJI" hysterical.

We loved Tangled (and it was 3d but not sure why? it didn't seem it) and in toy story 3 Leeza got upset that i kept crying and would ask really loud..MOMMY WHY ARE YOU SAD?? PLEASE DON;T' CRY MOMMY.

so funny.

Loved the snow pics too.

Have you gotten togehter with Sara and Rylie yet? You know she is expecting a baby in April. :) what fun ya'll will have.
CANNOT WAIT TO SEE YOU AT KAZAPOOLZA AND CAN'T WAIT FOR YOU TO BRING AIBEK HOME!!!