Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Delayed Post

I actually wrote this post weeks ago and am just now posting it. There will be another one soon I promise.
It’s been a while I know. We have been busy but not with anything super exciting- just little piddly stuff. Our guy is just growing and growing and becoming such a little person. He can do a whole host of things on his own now- get himself dressed (shirt included!- when he feels like it), get a snack, go to the bathroom. It’s amazing. This was the scene about a month or so ago when I was teaching him to come downstairs after he was done napping rather than me going up to get him. He woke up and yelled for me as usual which I ignored thinking he would just come down when he got tired of yelling. This goes on for a while until it is suddenly quiet and I assume he’s on his way down. I then hear a flush and the door to his room close again. I go up to see what he’s up to and he tells me ‘natnat take diapie off, put in diapie trash, go poopyballs, wipe bottom, flush, put on pants and play’ (notice there’s nothing about washing hands in that exchange- nice). I can’t believe he can do all that at the age when most little boys are just trying out potty training. But he’s not totally grown yet. It’s crazy- one minute he’s completely independent and insisting that he do things himself and then the next, he is running to me telling me ‘I need hugs Mama’ when he has trouble hitting the golf ball or gets both legs stuck in one leg-hole of his underwear and falls over when he tries to walk (and I try not to laugh). I’m still needed sometimes at least! He is most definitely at that age when he can do so much and gets really upset when he can’t do exactly what it is that he wants to do. When he is sobbing so hard that he can barely catch his breath, I tell him “Take a big breath and blow out the candle” and after a couple of those, he is finally calm enough to tell me what’s wrong. And of course whatever loves I give out come back to me tenfold. When I get upset he tells me “Don’t worry Mama, I make you feel better” and gives me the biggest, squishiest hug and doesn’t let go until I smile. Is there anything better? And he does the same thing for his best friend Bubby. I can’t even tell you how many times I overhear a conversation he is having in the other room and he says "Don’t worry, Boo Bubby. I hep you.” I hope that means I am raising a helpful and compassionate little guy. Other than that, he’s just really funny sometimes. He got a new shark toy for the bath and we would say the Jaws theme as we pretended it was going to attach him and he kept asking “Why you say dat, Mama?” I finally realized after literally weeks of him asking my why, that he thought we were saying ‘DO-NUT…DO-NUT…donutdonutdonutdonut’ and it was only when he informed me that sharks really like donuts and I put two and two together. It’s so funny what they hear. Hope all’s well with you. More soon. -m

1 comment:

Susan said...

wow! he really is amazing!! what a sweet sweet boy you have there. good job mom!! :)