Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Still Here

Hi all you concerned friends and family-
9:00am We had another exciting night last night. I actually don't even know how I am functioning at the moment. All was well until about 2am when I woke up to the alarms going off and saw him once again awake and flailing. As I was trying to get my wits about me and stand up to go try and hold him down yet again, a nurse came in and saw what was going on. Then things got much more exciting when he started to move around like he was convulsing or something and I heard some liquid noises and the nurse yelled out the door into quiet unit "I need help!" Then entire staff came running. She explained that he was not convulsing but vomiting into his breathing tube which he had apparently yanked loose and it was not likely lodged in his esophagus. They tried to suction it out as quickly as possibly before he breathed in too much of the fluid and then they bagged him to get his oxygen. As they were trying to pump some oxygen in, they noticed that the pumping didn't correspond with his breathing rate and suspected that he had pulled out the tube and it was no longer working. So then the question was 'do we take the tube out and try and let him breathe on his own even though we just shot him up with a truckload more of sedative? Or do we try and re-intebate him and hope the sedative kicks in?' So they decided to take it out but have everything ready to put a new one right back in. So they got me near him (I couldn't even see him at this point beyond all of the people surrounding his bed), yanked it out, and waited to see what would happen. Our strong little guy had no problem letting out a very muted cry (due to the tube) and then very distinctly saying "MaaaaMaaaa" and reaching out. I think my heart stopped functioning for a second. Then, to make a long story short (or shorter than it could be anyway), he has spent the last 7 hours pulling out all of his other tubes. He now has only the saline and then all of the monitors that are hooked up to make sure his vitals are doing alright. Now, all we are waiting for is the doctor to give the OK to give him some food and send him on his way either home or to another unit since he no longer qalifies for the ICU. And I guess they need to check the Xrays too and make sure his doesn't have too much fluid in his lungs. Anyway, I will update this post as things happen. But, I am extremely happy to say, that at this point Rinat is screaming his head off and doing the 'eat' sign over and over and over again. I think it's a good sign. He's definitely insistent. Love to all. -m
11:00- We just got the news that we will be discharged from the hospital just as soon as the doc writes the orders. WooHoo! And sweet Ann has the magic touch and Rinat has been snoozing in her lap for almost 2 hours. I guess he just finally wore himself out and gave up the fight. All is good in the world. -m
1:15 Home safe and sound but more than a bit exhausted. Sweet baby is chowing down on some lunch and then I am thinking he'll grab a snooze (and hopefully I can too). I can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone's support and wishes for Rinat's good health. And I am so thankful that the doctors and nurses at Georgetown are so on the ball. For our sweet baby have been in such danger twice in less than 24 hours and then home again as happy as ever is amazing to me. I can't even think of what would have happened had they not been able to figure out the reason for the co2 levels or not known how to treat it. I finally broke down and actually cried on the way home from the hospital- I guess I just had to wait until I knew that he was totally out of danger before I could melt down. And now I am off to enjoy my son. Thank you so much for everyone's support. -m

19 comments:

jenmiddleton said...

he's a spunky one!! so glad to hear things are going as well as they can. get that boy a steak! lots of love to all of you...xoxo jen

geri said...

Whoa...hold on to your hats mom and dad...you are going to have your hands full with this very determined little Kazack! I bet that was the sweetest sound you ever heard, Maren....what a great maamaaa!

Carson said...

Wow he does have a war cry... I am so glad he is doing well and the tube is out. Keep me posted...

All our love
Cars

geri said...

HALLELUJAH!!!

Maegan and Tony Van Sant said...

We are so glad to hear that you are all safe and back at home.

Anonymous said...

glad you are home. what a change in 24hrs. such good news!--Mer

Carson said...

thank goodness you all are home. Call when you can love
cars

Carson said...

thank goodness you all are home. Call when you can love
cars

Anonymous said...

I am still holding my breath reading all of this. What an ordeal, but what a happy ending. We are thinking of you!!! I hope you are able to rest and recover!!!
Love to you all! - Eileen

Our Family of Bloggers said...

Wow... I am so glad that Rinat is home. I cannot imagine how stressful that whole experience was for you. Gotta love the Kazakh War Cry (almost as much as the Kazakh stare!)
Take care of yourselves, all of you!

Susan said...

I am so glad you are all home safe and sound. How scary indeed.
Rinat is only cute, but a fighter too.

Anonymous said...

I think we heard him cry all the way down here :)
What a night!
Glad the hospital staff was so attentive.
Try to get some rest, & give the little guy a big hug for us.
Congratulations to Nurse Aunt Ann for the terrific job she did! Whoever gets her in their hospital is going to be very fortunate!
Love to all of you from Nancy & me.
Dad

marsrob said...

Oy - you have been through so much. WOW. THANK GOD Rinat is ok and home with you eating and hanging out! Congrats on making it through what sounds like a gruelling, terrifying nightmare. We send our warmest wishes that you all get to have a wonderful, healthy, happy spring and summer!

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Holy Moly! We are so happy that Rinat is home, and we hope that you are able to all get some rest eventually. Wow, what a story. Sounds like you were a trooper too, Maren -- what a great mom!!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear that your little one had such a rough time with his surgery and happy to hear that all are back home. Little ones are very resilient and bounce back. What a great hospital staff. It's now time for the parents to relax and once again enjoy your precious little one.

Marianne S.

Gretchen Krebs said...

wow. that sounds like no fun at all. and i would know, too! i'm so glad rinat is doing okay now. and you're right, what a relief that the staff figured out the problem so quickly.

this malignant hyperthermia condition has actually been in the news a lot in the last week. Sadly, a teenager in AZ didn't make it after responding to the anesthesia in the same way.

i'm so glad rinat is okay. it must have been awful for you, as his mom (the side of medical crises that i don't know). i'm glad it's over and you'll all be able to enjoy having grandma (great-grandma!) around this weekend. tell her and your mom hi from me. love and good health to all!

gretchen

John & Jenny Morgan said...

I am so glad that everything is OK. What relief after such scary episodes!

Cynthia said...

Hey Maren,

Not sure if you remember me but I used to work at GF with you (School Psych). I know your feelings on the drs and nurses at Georgetown. They saved the life of my son when he was born. Definitely a blessing to have a wonderful hospital nearby!

Cynthia

Steph and Dusty said...

I just came across your blog and am close to tears hearing about your little one and his experience at the hospital. I am so glad he is at home now and that you all can move past that. What a scary time for you all. The Baker Family - Dusty and Stephanie.