Sunday, March 9, 2008

ER- and no I'm not talking about the TV show

This post is actually from last week but I never got the chance to put it on the blog:
Hi all- As I lay awake at 3am this morning, I decided to just give it up and head downstairs hoping that would help me shake my insomnia and I got a very timely email from one of our Kaz friends. It was called “25 reasons I owe my mother.” It was a humorous email but it just got me thinking about how Rinat owes me big time already. Here’s the story: He was not himself on Tues and I thought maybe he hadn’t slept well because of diaper rash (what’s new?) and let it go. I was not feeling well myself (I now have the full blown flu) and thought he’d be just fine with a little time and some extra rest. But then he fell asleep, naked, in my lap after I gave him a morning bath and slept for 2 whole hours which is totally unlike him. Then he refused to eat dinner which is even more unlike him. This boy never ever misses a meal! Well, it turns out that he had a bit of a temperature so I gave him some Motrin and decided to put him in bed with me so I could keep an eye on him. It didn’t seem any higher than when he got 4 shots at the doctor the previous week, but it just made me a little nervous since I did not know the cause. Sure enough, at about 1am, he rolled over and put his head on my belly and he was BURNING UP. I mean, so hot that I expected to see wavy air above his body like you see above the asphalt on a July day in Texas. I gave him more Motrin, hoping it would bring down his temp, but almost an hour later it had actually gotten worse and was now over 104. So we packed a bag full of everything we might need for a couple days at the hospital and headed to Georgetown to see if they could figure out what was wrong with him. There was, thankfully, no wait and they got to us right away. The nurses, other patients, and especially the security guard were really nice and helped out as much as they could. Long story short- after more than 6 hours of poking and prodding and tests that included IV’s into his tiny little arm and pee-collector bags over his privates, lots of screaming, and no sleep for any of us, it turns out that our little sweet pea has an ear infection. I am very glad that we packed it up and went to the ER even though it turns out that it was not anything major, but boy are we exhausted! I think I got about 5 hours of sleep in the last two and a half days. I check on Rinat about every hour and of course any little noise that he makes in his sleep brings me to my feet in a millisecond. Ahh, what we do for the ones we love… I hope you are all happy and healthy! -m

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was your ER doctor Justin Gatewood, by any chance? If not, be sure to request him the next time you're in the Georgetown ER.

And have no doubt. There will be a next time.

Maegan and Tony Van Sant said...

We are glad to hear that Rinat is ok! When I started reading I was like, oh no! Taylor is notorious for ear infections. Just make sure to stay on top of the meds and if you start to see buildup in his ears, use Debrox. It works great.

Ann said...

Poor little peanut!!! I'm glad he's feeling better! Hope to see you all soon!!!

xoxox
Ann

Susan said...

I was SO scare when I read your post. Poor Lil Rinat!! How scary...It's so hard when kids are sick. I am glad he is ok now.
My son was sick with a 103.3 fever, home from school for 3 days. It was even hard for me then, and he is 9! But at least you won't have to worry about making up all the school work that he missed. That was fun-trying to get my sick, weak kid to do his homework. I felt mean, but otherwise we would have been buried alive in 4th grade home work.

That picture is just pitiful with the IV in his arm. I am so sorry to hear that you have the flu too. That is HARD when MOm is sick, because mom's don't get a "sick day" so to speak.

Hope you are both on the mend.

Matthew Ruley said...

I am so glad to hear that it was nothing more than an ear infection, albiet dangerous a high temp! Hope the little guy is feeling better and that you are catching up on your sleep!

I am sure it was so hard to see the little guy with needles and bags. Breaks my heart to think about it!

I read your blog "live" all during your journey and you were a big inspiration to us, thought you should know. We have a blog too (we're waiting now (I think we were waiting then too but can't remember) but its private. I'd send you an invite if you are interested. Email me at ruley@tampabay.rr.com