Saturday, April 23, 2016

Oct 2014

Hi all,
Halloween was tons of fun.  Geri came up to meet the new baby Murielle (new cousins are awesome!) and trick or treat with us.  Suddenly it's fall and the temps are colder and we get to break out the gloves and hats.  I love this time of year.  The days are darker and the feeling is more calm and subdued. Maybe that's why I like it. It's calm like me. 





It was Bek Day and Rin was excited to be the first one to tell him Happy Adoption Day.  We went to rouse him for school and his hair looked like Cindyloo Who.  But even cuter if that’s possible.  After going out to dinner at Bek’s favorite place that night, Uncle Julio’s, we got GTown Cupcakes.  I hope my little Who felt special because we think he’s pretty fantastic. 








Rin has turned into this lovely amazing loving calm(ish) child who is an absolute delight to be around.  Not that he hasn't always been wonderful but something in him has clicked and I think that maybe it has to do with him being more self aware.  He now will tell me when he's tired or hungry.  And when he is upset, he is able to better get himself under control by taking deep breaths or stepping away from the situation.  He is loving and kind to both his parents and his brother.  It is amazing.  Oh, and if he stays up late, he will actually sleep in so it doesn't ruin the next day with neverending meltdowns.  It is like the clouds have parted and the sun in shining down on our perfect life.  I am also realizing that he is more sensory dependent than I realized.  Those meltdowns that he was always having I now know is a part of his sensory sensitivities and is completely normal.  As is the hyperactivity in new or chaotic situations.  It's not bad behavior, it's how he copes.  And when he melts down and goes to his room to turn on his sound machine as loud as possible and crawl under the covers, it's good.  It's his safe place, his cocoon.  And I wish that maybe I had known more about his sensory issue when he was younger and perhaps I could have helped him develop his coping mechanisms a little bit better but I guess better late than never.  Learning about it is giving me more patience and understanding when he reacts the way he sometimes does.  And it is making me not take it so personally that he didn't want to cuddle or that he fixates on things instead of listening to me.  It is not normal for me but it is for him and that's OK.  Difference is what makes the world interesting.   





And some things I don’t want to forget…
Rin:
Asking for a brother.  Another one.  Constantly.  Used to be a sister but I guess girls have cooties now.

Bek:
Do you want some pineapple with your lunch?  "No, it not a pineapple kind of day”
Letting him win the buckle race every time.
I tell him that he needs to wear shoes.  "We'll have to see about that"





Love to all, -m 

No comments: